Assistant Director, Community Outreach
Assistant Director, Community Outreach Arlington, VA
The Assistant Director, Community Outreach (ADCO) will serve as a liaison to AHC residents, resident advocates, and other community members to better understand residents’ experiences living at 100% of AHC’s properties. The ADCO will work with AHC Management, third-party property managers, Asset Management, and Resident Services to develop and implement strategies to help ensure AHC’s facilities and on-site staff are meeting residents’ needs. The overarching goal is to improve communication with residents and, ultimately, the quality of their experiences living in AHC apartment communities.
• Gather information from residents about their living experiences in AHC apartment communities through regular conversations, focus groups, surveys, resident meetings, and access to other relevant data.
• Work with AHC Management and third-party property management companies to institute regular resident meetings. Record relevant information shared and work with all Regional Managers and Community Managers to disperse among residents.
• Work with Manager, Data Analytics, to gather relevant resident data to broaden AHC’s understanding of resident concerns and help evaluate the needs of each AHC apartment community.
• Prepare and submit regular reports regarding feedback from residents to Sr. VP of AHCM and designated Regionals, and to Asset Management and AHC’s Executive Team (as needed).
• Work with AHC Management and third-party property management companies to develop appropriate strategies and solve resident issues as quickly and effectively as possible.
• Build strong relationships with resident advocates across jurisdictions with the goal of understanding and addressing AHC residents’ concerns and ensuring advocates understand the best ways to resolve resident issues working with residents and property management.
• Interview relevant stakeholders including local government officials, housing advocates, and other community-based organizations to include their perspectives in AHC’s decision-making as the organization works to maintain AHC’s excellent reputation in the community.
• Evaluate effectiveness of existing and potential tools for communicating with residents: Rent Café (including texting), WhatsApp, Modern Message, Resident Connect, Survey Monkey, phone calls, in-person meetings, resident letters, and other tools available. Consider resident survey to inform decisions on which platforms we decide to use and the focus of information we disseminate moving forward.
• Create basic systems for documenting all activities and write reports summarizing what has been learned.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s and/or master’s degree in communications or related field.
• At least 5 years’ experience in community outreach or related field.
• Previous experience with property management and affordable housing strongly preferred.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Excellent strategic planning skills.
• Excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office.
• Bilingual skills (English AND Spanish, Amharic or another language spoken by a large percentage of AHC residents) required.
• Knowledge of local communities in Northern Virginia, DC, Montgomery County, and/or Baltimore strongly desired.
For immediate consideration, please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com or visit & apply on our website www.ahcinc.org, under the ‘About Us’ tab. EOE