American Association of University Professors
Research Assistant (Flexible Location)
The American Association of University Professors (AAUP) is pleased to announce a Research Assistant position to be filled as soon as possible in its Research Department. The location for this position is flexible with the potential for working remotely. The Research Assistant is responsible for providing support for our research program, including the annual Faculty Compensation Survey as well as research related to AAUP policies and standards. The Research Assistant will report to the AAUP Director of Research. The position involves working with diverse individuals both inside and outside of the AAUP office.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Research Assistant plays a key role in our Faculty Compensation Survey and research related to AAUP policies and standards. The position will include the following duties and responsibilities:
- Assist with the collection and review of research data under the direction of professional staff.
- Assist with analysis of quantitative and qualitative research data and contribute to the reporting and interpretation of findings under the direction of professional staff.
- Process data orders and other departmental correspondence.
- Respond to routine information requests on higher education topics utilizing published sources.
- Participate in activities of the AAUP national office, including occasional travel to assist with events.
- Other duties as assigned.
The research assistant should have strong statistical/mathematical skills and a demonstrated attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy. Other requirements for the position include:
- Baccalaureate degree in a field with a significant quantitative component required. Graduate work with a research component preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required.
- Experience working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and perspectives required.
- Demonstrated familiarity with large national database projects (e.g., IPEDS) required.
- Experience using MS Excel to manage data, including advanced features (e.g., formulas, pivot tables, filters) required.
- One or more years of work experience in a higher education or non-profit setting with a research component preferred.
- Volunteer or work experience with labor unions or professional associations preferred.
- Knowledge or experience in using statistical software (e.g., SAS, R, Stata, or SPSS) preferred.
- This position requires a valid driver’s license and the willingness and ability to travel occasionally throughout the United States, to work long, irregular hours and weekends as needed.
Starting salary of $50,000 for minimum qualifications; higher salary for preferred qualifications and experience. Generous benefits package, including health insurance and 401(K).
The Research Assistant position is categorized as an administrative assistant position. This position is designated as an administrative assistant position in the Department of Research. The location for this position is flexible with the potential for working remotely. This position is part of the staff union bargaining unit. This is a non-exempt position, eligible for overtime pay.
To apply, email a resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Research Assistant – YOUR NAME” in the subject line of the email. No phone calls please. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until an adequate number of qualified applications have been received. For additional information about the AAUP, please visit www.aaup.org.
The AAUP is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability, race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, personal appearance, family responsibilities, genetic information, matriculation, political affiliation, or other characteristics unrelated to professional performance.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Apply for Research Assistant
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly