Facilities Planning, Construction, and Management (FPCM) is an integral part of The George Washington University, located in the heart of Washington, DC. Comprised of several units, including Energy & Environmental Programs, Facilities Maintenance, Facilities Projects, General Services, Property Management, & Relocation Services, FPCM oversees units that operate and maintain university facilities, including but not limited to providing quality support services for the physical environment of the university, campus planning activities, construction projects, maintenance, housekeeping, event support, campus development projects, and oversight on building related regulatory matters. Our ultimate goal is to provide for a stellar student experience through GW’s Common Purpose, Values and Service Priorities. For more information, please go to our webpage: https://operations.gwu.edu/facilities-campus-development.
The Electrician position is part of the Facilities Services team, within the Division of Operations at the George Washington University. Facilities Services is searching for a full-time Electrician to support the Electrical team to effectively investigate and identify electrical problems and develop plans to repair and maintain the electrical systems throughout the University. This position will report to the Supervisor, Electrical.
This position typically maintains, repairs and installs electrical systems and equipment
The core responsibilities of this role are to effectively investigate and identify electrical hall problems and to develop plans to repair and maintain the electrical systems, to perform
preventive maintenance repairs on electrical systems, lighting systems, and equipment in and around buildings, to install wiring, electrical systems, lighting systems in and around buildings, power appliances, electrical machinery, and equipment according to written job orders, and to report to and answer emergency call-backs. This position may work around and/or with machine tools that present certain dangers, and all safety precautions must be followed. More specifically, the Electrician will: Performs preventive maintenance repairs on electrical systems, lighting systems, and equipment in and around buildings. Installs wiring, electrical systems, lighting systems in and around buildings, power appliances, electrical machinery, and equipment according to written job orders. Reports to and answers to emergency call-backs.
The Electrician may work around and/or with machine tools that present certain dangers, and all safety precautions must be followed. This position will require kneeling, crawling, climbing ladders, riding lifts and stairs for an extended period of time on a regular basis.
Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a high school diploma/GED plus 1.5 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Bachelor’s degree or higher in a relevant area of study. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
We are seeking an individual with the following characteristics:
• Commitment to GW’s values
• Intellectual, professional and a person of integrity
• Honest, with the highest ethical standards
• Passionate, collaborative, strategic, and smart with a hands-on, roll-up-the-sleeves orientation
• Ability to work independently. Self-starter; hard worker. Takes initiative; very high energy
• Personally accountable. Assumes ownership, control and accountability for all areas of responsibility and commitments made to others;
• Sincere, open, and direct communicator. Puts organizational interests above self- interests and is comfortable expressing candid opinions
• Highest levels of responsiveness
• Combination of strong intellect that is combined with a practical and realistic common sense understanding of how to get things done
• Ability to demonstrate initiative, a strong desire to succeed and exert the extraordinary effort often required
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, high growth, entrepreneurial environment
• Ability to work with faculty and staff in a respectful way
• Establish trust and credibility with institutional leadership and across the University
• Seeks “win-win” solutions to help foster continued integration and collaboration
• Flexible and receptive to change; and
• A positive “can-do” attitude.
• Must be responsive to after-hours calls from associates and other colleagues.
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.