Facilities Planning, Construction, and Management (FPCM) is an integral part of The George Washington University, located in the heart of Washington, DC. Comprised of several units, including Energy & Environmental Programs, Facilities Maintenance, Facilities Projects, General Services, Property Management, & Relocation Services, FPCM oversees units that operate and maintain university facilities, including but not limited to providing quality support services for the physical environment of the university, campus planning activities, construction projects, maintenance, housekeeping, event support, campus development projects, and oversight on building related regulatory matters. Our ultimate goal is to provide for a stellar student experience through GW’s Common Purpose, Values and Service Priorities. For more information, please go to our webpage: https://operations.gwu.edu/facilities-campus-development.
GW Facilities Department is searching for a full-time Appliance Technician to work in the Appliance Shop from Monday thru Friday from 7:00 am to 4:00 pm. The Appliance Technician reports to the Appliance Shop Supervisor.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
-Installing and troubleshooting washers, dryers, ranges, refrigerators, and other large appliances for University customers
-Connecting water and gas lines to appliances and checking for leaks after appliance installation
-Informing customers on how to operate the appliances properly
-Repairing and replacing any defective components found in appliances
-Dismantling and reassembling appliances to diagnose appliance malfunctions
-Other duties may include record keeping, bill preparation, preparing repair estimates, and inventory control
-Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a high school diploma/GED plus 1.5 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Bachelor’s degree or higher in a relevant area of study. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
We are seeking an individual with the following characteristics:
• Commitment to GW’s values
• Intellectual, professional and a person of integrity
• Honest, with the highest ethical standards
• Passionate, collaborative, strategic, and smart with a hands-on, roll-up-the-sleeves orientation
• Ability to work independently. Self-starter; hard worker. Takes initiative; very high energy
• Personally accountable. Assumes ownership, control and accountability for all areas of responsibility and commitments made to others;
• Sincere, open, and direct communicator. Puts organizational interests above self- interests and is comfortable expressing candid opinions
• Highest levels of responsiveness
• Combination of strong intellect that is combined with a practical and realistic common sense understanding of how to get things done
• Ability to demonstrate initiative, a strong desire to succeed and exert the extraordinary effort often required
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, high growth, entrepreneurial environment
• Ability to work with faculty and staff in a respectful way
• Establish trust and credibility with institutional leadership and across the University
• Seeks “win-win” solutions to help foster continued integration and collaboration
• Flexible and receptive to change; and
• A positive “can-do” attitude.
• Must be responsive to after-hours calls from associates and other colleagues.
• Valid Drivers License which is required
to operate GW vehicles.
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.