Director of Finance and Administration
SGA is a non-profit organization that envisions a country where no matter where you live, or who you are, you can enjoy living in a place that is healthy, prosperous, and resilient. We empower communities through technical assistance, advocacy, and thought leadership to realize our vision of livable places, healthy people, and shared prosperity. For additional information, and for a full job description, please visit https://smartgrowthamerica.org.
About the Role
Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Finance and Administration will provide day to day management on all financial, accounting and audit functions of the organization, and creates, in collaboration with the CEO, the overall financial strategy for the organization, and provides strategic recommendations to the CEO, to top executives and the Board of Directors. The Director will collaborate closely with the CEO and the Board to ensure that financial operations of SGA follow nonprofit best practices and are fully compliant. The Director is a member of the senior management team, acting as an internal resource and advisor.
The Director will provide the leadership and hands-on management to ensure the organization maximizes financial results and performance, effectively budgets and forecasts cash flows, and is compliant with generally accepted accounting principles and all funder requirements. The position will also focus on sound financial management and controls, efficient and cost-effective financial operations, policies, procedures, processes and performance. This position oversees a finance associate, and applicable vendors and consultants.
Oversees and provides day-to-day management of the financial health of the organization and recommends and executes overall financial strategy. Ensures that SGA continues to operate in accordance with best practices in non-profit accounting and financial management.
- Designs and leads the process for creating monthly, quarterly, annual and multi-year financial forecasting and tracking, including cash flow projections and analyses, developing annual budgets, and deploying financial resources across the organization. Acts as a proactive internal resource and advisor to senior executives and staff.
- Collaborates and advises effectively with CEO and staff to develop achievable budgets and plans that meet the financial goals of the organization. Serve as advisor to CEO and staff in developing budgets for key organization funders, grants, and proposals.
- Spearhead the development and implementation plans of financial systems and processes to ensure that SGA’s financial operations, tools and staffing support effective financial management.
- Guide the finance team’s management and coordination of all fiscal and monthly reporting activities for the organization.
- Report on financial results and key metrics against appropriate base comparison (prior year budget, cash flow and other forecasts, in depth analysis to prepare and present projections and deviations from plan).
- Develop and maintain systems of internal controls to safeguard financial assets of the organization and oversee the coordination and activities of independent auditors organization-wide ensuring the preparation of the annual financial statements is in accordance with GAAP, federal and state (District of Columbia) regulations.
- Motivate and lead a small finance team; attract, recruit and retain staff providing mentoring and opportunities of growth.
- Manage finance vendor, outsourcing and auditor relationships.
- Leads organizational financial risk management efforts and work with external advisors and auditors to mitigate risks.
- Oversees and ensures the accurate and timely completion of all compliance related filings.
- Reviews and recommends for approval all contractual agreements including leases, partner agreements, vendor agreements, funder agreements and professional services engagements.
- Monitors organization insurance coverages and manage any and all claim responses.
Human Resources Administration
- Oversees the day-to-day function of human resources, policies and processes. Coordinates with SGA’s outside Human Resources Consulting firm as appropriate.
- Manages employee benefits administration and open enrollment.
- Helps manage employee relations in coordination with the President & CEO and outside Human Resources Consulting firm.
- Manages human resources administration and record keeping, stays current on best practices, laws and regulations related to employment.
- Develops, manages and implements SGA policies in coordination with the President & CEO.
- Manages annual leadership and staff training in collaboration with CEO and staff.
- Manages annual performance management and evaluation process.
- Participates in related human resources initiatives.
- Oversees information technology infrastructure for financial operations and recommend changes/enhancements.
- Manages maintenance of technology infrastructure necessary for effective and efficient financial operations.
- Manages financial systems consultant/vendors to ensure high-quality customer support, troubleshooting, and technical assistance.
- Oversee migration from MS Dynamics to another suitable system.
- Manages SGA’s virtual filing system, in coordination with selected SGA staff, including standardization, improvement, process protocols, server, Google drives, desktops, etc.
Board Development and Board Relations
- Together with the CEO, provides regular reports to the Board, including the Board Finance and Audit Committees, prepares documents for Board meetings, and regularly advises as necessary.
- Serves as staff representation on Board committees at the direction of the CEO.
The ideal candidate for this position will have 10+ years of progressively responsible senior level operational leadership experience in a nonprofit organization with foundation, federal government, corporate, donor and fee revenue streams, and a bachelor’s degree in business, accounting or relevant field required. CPA or MBA (financial management) preferred. This includes demonstrated experience in financial strategy, planning, management, trend analysis, projections, variance, cash flows, balance sheet, payroll, auditing functions and grants management experience. Additional requirements:
- Excellent interpersonal, influencing & negotiating skills, to develop effective long-term relationships with internal & external stakeholders. Demonstrated ability to act as internal advisor.
- Strong integrity, ethics and professionalism.
- Experience overseeing financial compliance and risk management.
- Ability to link financial plans to achieving organizational objectives.
- Demonstrated experience in leading, and managing finance staff, including strong ability to delegate, train, coach and motivate staff.
- Experience managing administration operations including HR and IT.
- Hands-on financial manager with the ability to think strategically and act tactically.
- Ability to balance attention to detail with big-picture thinking.
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to employees at all levels of the organization, including non-finance managers.
- Experience successfully working with Boards of Directors and senior management to deliver strategic objectives.
- Collaborative management and working style with a diverse workforce.
EHR has been retained to search for this position. Please send a letter of interest and resume to Erica Raphael, Sr. Consultant, email@example.com.
SGA is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion/creed, sex, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, veteran or active military status, alienage or citizenship status, arrest or conviction record, credit history, salary history, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or partnership status, familial status, unemployment status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual violence or any other status protected by applicable law.