Youth Transitional Housing Supervisor
Youth Transitional Housing Supervisor
Headquarters - Walter Reed, WASHINGTON, DC, US
Housing Up (HU) is one of the leading non-profit organizations in Washington DC providing the full spectrum of housing and supportive services to more than 700 homeless and at-risk households, so that they can transform their own lives. Housing programs include permanent supportive, rapid rehousing, transitional, and affordable rental housing. Supportive services include case management, employment services, clinical services, housing counseling, resident services, life skills, and youth programming.
The Youth Transitional Housing Supervisor is responsible for overseeing the Youth Transitional Housing team and ensuring the delivery of high-quality, intensive services for transition-aged youth. These clients (ages 18 – 24) are experiencing homelessness or are at risk of being homeless and may be economically and/or emotionally detached from their support network. Through this work, the YTH team helps youth improve basic life and interpersonal skills and access opportunities related to their education, employment, health care and, ultimately, stable housing. These services are focused on quickly moving youth out of homelessness, preventing a return to shelter, and ensuring that they are empowered to achieve the highest level of self-sufficiency possible.
The YTH Supervisor guides Case Managers and Resident Mentors in providing support that is aligned with Housing Up’s adopted principles and practices to ensure that residents are treated in an empowering, dignified, and sensitive manner. The YTH Supervisor also assists the Deputy Director of Youth Transitional Housing with administrative tasks related to program management.
- Works collaboratively with the Director and Deputy Director of Youth Transitional Housing to implement a unified approach to management.
- Supervises Case Managers and Resident Mentors, implementing all applicable human resource policies and procedures.
- Guides staff in providing case management – specifically coaching about how trauma impacts the psychological, physical, and emotional responses of program participants.
- Inspires staff to empower youth and encourage autonomy and a sense of control.
- Supports staff in handling difficult or complex situations.
- Assists with training the YTH team in Housing Up’s case management approach, including trauma informed care principles, harm reduction practices, motivational interviewing, and program-specific policies and procedures.
- Promotes professional development for the YTH team.
- Oversees the coordination of services with internal and external partners.
- Ensures timely and accurate data management including case notes, assessments, data entry into the Homeless Management Information System (HMIS), and other data management systems.
- Assists the Deputy Director of Youth Transitional Housing with reporting and administrative tasks related to program management.
- Provides intervention for program participants and serves as a point of contact for grievances.
- Provides on call coverage as needed as part of the programmatic management team rotation.
- Attends internal and external meetings on behalf of the Agency and Youth Transitional Housing Department.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Master’s degree in social work, counseling, or other relevant area.
- Licensed in the District of Columbia as LGSW, LICSW, LGPC, or LPC.
APPLICABLE experience, Knowledge, and Skills
Minimum three years of related work experience, to include working with clients who are experiencing homelessness, mental illness, and substance abuse. Experience working with transition-aged youth is preferred.
- Familiarity with the Strengths-Based and Housing First approaches to case management.
- Sensitivity to the needs of youth (particularly youth of color, LGBTQ, low-income, and those who have experienced trauma) who are homeless or at risk for homelessness.
- Well-versed in trauma-informed service delivery, with experience executing this approach in housing programs.
- Demonstrated cultural competence.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a case management team.
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent listening and problem-solving skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of community resources available to clients.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to be flexible and to prioritize effectively while managing multiple tasks and responsibilities.
- High confidence level in working independently.
- Possess and maintain a positive, solution-oriented approach.
Work Environment/Physical Effort
- The YTH Supervisor will primarily work at a site-based transitional housing program in Washington, DC, which operates 24 hours, 7 days weekly. Employees here will require availability on nights and/or weekends to provide support to the YTH Program.
- Requires ability to sit up to 3-6 hours per day with intermittent occasional walking and standing.
- Must be available to participate in after hours on-call rotation, as well as be on call during inclement weather.
- Candidate must be computer literate and be able to navigate MS Office software (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Candidate must also possess a valid driver’s license and have a vehicle, as well as proof of auto insurance.
- SALARY AND BENEFITS
$63k - $70k, commensurate to education and work experience.
Housing Up offers a competitive benefits package including health insurance, a retirement plan, paid vacation, sick leave, and commuter benefits.
Apply online at: