Program Manager - Research Workforce Development
The Health Sciences Division in the George Washington University (GW) School of Medicine & Health Sciences (SMHS) is recruiting a Program Manager to support its workforce development research initiatives. GW Health Sciences operates a variety of innovative workforce development and training programs focused on careers in health care and translational research. Programs advance regional and national workforce diversity goals with trainees from public high schools, community college, university, and military settings as well as working professionals working in clinical and research settings. Programs include a variety of intra- and extramurally sponsored projects, such as a Governor’s Health Sciences Academy, the GW Health Careers Opportunity Program, and global student/faculty exchange programs.
GW Health Sciences is a vibrant unit within SMHS that operates more than 40 academic programs (post-secondary, undergraduate, graduate/doctorate, and professional development), several translational research programs, and has activities at the main GW campus in Foggy Bottom and the Virginia Science and Technology Campus. For more information on our programs, visit us at: https://smhs.gwu.edu/academics/health-sciences.
This senior level position provides functional support and program management for workforce development programs and sponsored projects. Responsibilities include the following: plan and implement programs, ensure compliance, provide oversight to project teams, develop budgets, manage grant accounts (include sub-awards), collect/analyze data, contribute to grant-writing and scholarly dissemination activities, and facilitate meetings and manage communications with internal and external program stakeholders and trainees. The position will continuously evaluate operations, make recommendations for policies and procedures, and enact quality improvement efforts. This position does not have direct reports. Typical duties often are administrative in nature, and are independent. The position reports to the Senior Associate Dean for Health Sciences.
Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Desired Education, Experience, and Skills
- Master’s degree preferred
- Proficiency with SQL and Tableau
- Prior experience with open-source programming language (e.g., Python, R)
- Prior experience in higher education or workforce development
- Subject matter expertise in research program administration and sponsored projects
- Prior experience preparing and maintaining IRB and other research regulatory documents
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel, including capabilities with statistics and pivot tables
- Effective problem solver, including complex issues requiring sophisticated analyses
- Knowledge, understanding, and respect for diverse perspectives, interests, and constituencies domestically and globally
- Strong interpersonal communication skills with an ability to effectively engage community partners and stakeholders through discussion and perform public speaking
- A commitment to lifelong learning
Minimum Education and Experience
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 2 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Master’s degree or higher in a relevant area of study. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.