Data Analytics Specialist
Position Summary: As part of the Data Support team, the role of the Data Analytics Specialist is to analyze current and historic data and to make connections between data sets to assist NAFSA in optimizing business results and aid strategic decision making. This position is responsible for querying and report writing in NAFSA’s Association Management System (iMIS) and other databases, and for providing dashboards, reports and other analyzed data to departments across the association. The Data Analytics Specialist is responsible for applying data to solve problems and teaching others the best way to leverage data to enhance desired outcomes, using a variety of programs, including databases, spreadsheets, business intelligence software, mapping tools, statistical software, and advanced analytics to track performance, predict trends, and interpret data.
Major Functions and Responsibilities:
Data Analytics (30%)
- Take the lead in regularly monitoring data integrity for inconsistency with NAFSA business rules, and preventing data quality issues by identifying frequent user errors, system and legacy issues; Identify causes of poor data quality, recommend and implement solutions, and communicate findings to staff and management
- Meet with decision makers, systems owners, and end users to define reporting requirements and goals; Advise department and managers regarding appropriate, effective, and efficient use of organizational reporting capabilities and functions.
- Translate key indicators and data metrics into actionable business intelligence.
- Field incoming data support tickets from end users to resolve data issues and support reporting needs
- Create queries and reports from NAFSA’s enterprise system data sets including, but not limited to, marketing, sales, and engagement data to support business objectives.
Training and Communication (25%)
- Proactively train & support business owners of enterprise data sets in data maintenance according to NAFSA business rules; develop & maintain current end-user training materials & business process documentation.
- Prepare and deliver reports, recommendations, or alternatives for improving processes in reporting systems across the organization.
- Communicate reporting changes, enhancements, and modifications – verbally and through written documentation – to management and other stakeholders so that issues and solutions are understood.
- Support adherence to GDPR & other compliance requirements across NAFSA’s data systems.
- Advise on data structure within the Association Management System for new and revised system integrations.
Strategy and Planning (10%)
- Support the Director of Data Science in charting the existing and future-state data analytics environment (data sources, activities and processes) and keep documentation current for knowledge-transfer across the organization.
- Collaborate with Data Support team to develop routines and procedures for end-users to facilitate best practices use of reporting and business intelligence tools and applications.
- Assist in the development of data management policies and procedures with the technology team & data owners.
- Work with cross-departmental teams to define metrics, guidelines, and strategies for effective use of data and trends consistent with the association’s goals.
- Research, review, and analyze the effectiveness and efficiency of existing report procedures and develop strategies for enhancing or further leveraging these processes, and incorporating into the data warehouse, where appropriate.
- Participate in the identification, evaluation, recommendation of new data systems and data analytics tools that support NAFSA’s analytics goals and that improve customer interaction with the NAFSA website.
Perform other duties as assigned by the Senior Director, Technology Solutions (5%)
- Bachelor’s degree in the field of computer science, mathematics, information management, data analytics, statistics and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum three years proven work experience as a data analyst working with advanced analytics software
- Excellent working knowledge of SQL (sequential query language)
- Strong working knowledge of RDBMS (relational database management systems), reporting tools, Excel and data visualization tools.
- Experience working with data sets pertaining to sales, product/event trends, web analytics and marketing.
- Experience working with cross departmental teams to define metrics, guidelines, and strategies for effective maintenance and use of data.
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Good working knowledge of PowerBI & DAX
- Strong organization and communication skills, highly detail oriented
- Self-starter able to take initiative and facilitate meaningful conversations about data.
- Strong customer service orientation and capacity to work collaboratively with a diverse group of internal clients.
- Experience with AMS (Association Management System) database, preferably iMIS
- Experience working with ETL processes
- Experience working with unstructured and survey data
- Experience working with nonprofit, education, or international education institutions
- Knowledge of R or Python
- Basic research and survey analysis skills
- Knowledge of cloud technologies such as AWS or Google Cloud.
Scope of Supervision
The position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
As representatives of a membership organization with a broad and diverse range of activities related to education and training, NAFSA staff possess more than simply specialized capabilities. Each individual is expected to take the initiative to become knowledgeable about the organization as a whole. Association members and other staff expect colleagues to be accessible and responsive, to convey a positive attitude, and to exhibit a high degree of professionalism.
The workday is generally 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The week after Memorial Day to Labor Day, it is 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Friday.
Travel is required occasionally related to job responsibilities, especially for the annual conference, regional meetings, and other leadership meetings. Participation in the NAFSA annual conference the week of Memorial Day, including the holiday itself, is a job requirement. The annual conference is held in varying cities.
About NAFSA: Association of International Educators
NAFSA: Association of International Educators is an organization of people dedicated to building a global community and fostering a more peaceful world through advancing international higher education. With approximately 10,000 members, NAFSA is the world’s largest professional development and advocacy organization committed to international learning and creating a more globally engaged, welcoming, and educated United States.
NAFSA believes that international education advances learning and scholarship, fosters understanding and respect among people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives, is essential for developing globally competent individuals, and builds leadership for the global community. We believe that international education lies at the core of an interconnected world characterized by peace, security, and well-being for all.
NAFSA is a workplace that not only appreciates diversity but believes it is our strength, and we strive to create an inclusive culture for all our team members. NAFSA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Learn more about NAFSA at www.nafsa.org.