Research Assistant, Professional Policy Issues
Research Assistant – Professional Policy Issues (Contractor)
The American Foreign Service Association (AFSA), the professional association and exclusive bargaining agent for the United States Foreign Service, seeks a research assistant to work within its Professional Policy Issues department.
Please note that the Research Assistant for Professional Policy Issues is an hourly part time contractor position. The incumbent will support and report to the Professional Policy Issues (PPI) Director. Remote work environment at the time of hire. In-office work options available in the future when appropriate to accommodate based on local COVIC-19 conditions. Familiarity with the Foreign Service is a plus, but not required. Position will be paid hourly at $25.00 with a weekly cap of 20 hours with a flexible work schedule.
- $25 per hour
- Maximum hours worked per week: 20
- Contractor expected to use their own computer and resources. AFSA will provide Office365 account.
- No additional benefits are provided.
- Contractor will need to submit invoices bimonthly.
- Use State Department personnel and workforce-related policy documents, the Foreign Service Act, and previous AFSA products on the Foreign Service workforce to conduct background research for AFSA policy responses and communications.
- Maintain Foreign Service metrics data library, updating statistics on the Foreign Service workforce, career, recruitment, and retention.
- Draft letters to institutions of higher learning, real estate management companies, and vehicle leasing organizations explaining what the Foreign Service is and why members should receive due consideration for in-state tuition or necessary breaking of vehicle and residential leases due to personnel deployment. Help research issues regarding Foreign Service parity with the military.
- Keep current with relevant personnel and human resource developments regarding the professional Foreign Service in all foreign affairs agencies.
- Conduct AFSA membership research and design member surveys for analysis. Assist in collating and synthesizing responses to member surveys.
- Assist with logistics for PPI and AFSA events as needed.
- Online Townhalls using Zoom (100 – 500 people)
- Structured Conversations using Zoom (8 – 10 people)
- In person when safely allowed
- High-level research and writing skills and the ability to brief clearly and concisely.
- Excellent organizational ability.
- Self-starter with the ability to prioritize multiple projects after obtaining guidance.
- Familiarity with the organization of data, including spreadsheets.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and high proficiency in conducting virtual events via online platforms such as Zoom and Teams.
- Familiarity with the Foreign Service a plus.
Please send applications, including a cover letter and resume, to email@example.com by COB Monday March 1.
Apply for Research Assistant, Professional Policy Issues
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly