Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments
Immediate Job Opening
Department of Transportation Planning
TRANSPORTATION PLANNING BOARD – BOARD CLERK
STARTING SALARY $60,065 - $65,000DOQ
AGENCY AND CONTEXT
The Department of Transportation Planning is seeking a Clerk to join a team responsible for and to lead administrative duties supporting the TPB’s policy board, committees, and federally required programs. The focus of the position will be to ensure efficient implementation of the TPB’s regular activities, including but not limited to managing the board’s monthly meetings and annual schedule of key milestones and activities. The position will monitor laws, regulations, and policies impacting the TPB at the federal, state, and local levels, and help to ensure compliance with those requirements. This position will support TPB’s special projects, research on best practices, public outreach activities, and other activities as directed.
The successful candidate for this position requires strong organizational skills, the ability to prioritize tasks in a fast-paced, membership-oriented environment, and excellent written and oral communication skills. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated interest in public administration, particularly in supporting the routine business of the TPB, its committees, and programs. The candidate should be comfortable performing routine, process-oriented tasks while also maintaining organizational awareness and thinking about ways to improve the work of the Transportation Planning Board.
EXAMPLES OF WORK
The successful candidate will:
SUPPORT BOARD AND TPB TECHNICAL COMMITTEE MEETINGS
- Assists in coordinating monthly meetings for the board and committees, including helping to strategically plan agendas, ensure oversight and development of meeting materials, manage meeting implementation, update the website, and ensure follow-up for meetings, including writing minutes and other documentation of board actions;
- Communicates with and directly assists TPB members, who include elected officials and senior agency officials, stakeholders, and citizens;
- Manages/updates membership information;
- For in-person meetings, may support logistics regarding ordering and coordinating meal/snack provision;
- Supports response to Board priorities and direction.
SUPPORT ENHANCED MOBILITY PROGRAM SOLICITATION
- Prepare and conduct the TPB’s biannual enhanced mobility solicitation. Tasks include but are not limited to:
- Managing outreach and communication activities including outreach to COG/TPB committees, managing contact lists, producing announcement mailers, and coordinating print advertisement;
- Assists in managing and updating print and web-based application materials including the application itself, supporting documentation, web sites, and handouts;
- Managing the pre-application conference process including scheduling, reserving meeting space, and assisting in executing meetings;
- Managing the Selection Committee process including assisting in assembling and coordinating members, scheduling meetings, coordinating the scoring and review process, and packaging results for TPB approval.
CONDUCT OTHER ACTIVITIES, SUCH AS:
- Providing limited support to other subcommittees, supporting potential future task forces, and other special events;
- Supporting the development of documentation regarding MPO self-certification;
- Lead coordination for and support the development of documentation that reports on the monthly progress of the MPO’s activities as related to the UPWP.
- Provide contract and administrative support to the Transportation and Land Use Connection Program.
- Conduct database maintenance
1) Strong organizational skills, including the ability to plan activities and events, coordinate and synthesize inputs from a variety of sources, and problem-solve to achieve optimal results.
2) Strong written and verbal communications skills, including the ability to effectively reach out to a variety of individuals ranging from elected officials to support staff. Able to communicate in a manner tailored to the individual’s station.
3) Strong skills in preparing for and facilitating virtual meetings for large and small groups. Advanced skills across a range of online meeting tools and the ability and interest to stay up to date on the latest technologies.
4) Demonstrated interest and experience in public administration, particularly in the National Capital Region.
5) Ability to prepare, produce, and present clear, effective, and accurate reports and presentations. Skills must include solid experience with Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams). Experience with InDesign, ArcGIS, Microsoft Access or other database software and/or graphic design is a plus.
6) Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other employees, elected and senior appointed officials and the public, and to work cooperatively in a team environment.
7) Ability to execute tasks with minimal supervision, and ability to respond flexibly to a small staff with significant demands on time.
Education and Experience
- Requires a minimum of two to three years working experience in public administration. Possession of a bachelor’s degree in public administration, or a related field. Any equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities will be considered.
- Computer Knowledge and Skills: Strong skills required for Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams). Experience with Microsoft Access or other database software. Experience with WordPress and/or Square point to support limited updates to existing websites (e.g., photo or text changes). ArcGIS, Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop) considered desirable.
- Communication Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from members, regulatory agencies, community leaders and citizens. Ability to effectively present meeting related or MPO process information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Please send a cover letter and resume highlighting the skills and relevant experience you would bring to this position and salary requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org.
MWCOG is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or any other class protected by state or federal laws in admission or access to our programs, services, activities, hiring, and employment practices.