Accounting Technician II
Under general direction, the purpose of this position is to interact with town citizens and town businesses to provide and process information in response to various concerns and requests for information. Performs a variety of customer service and billing duties relating to utility billing for water and sewer; and provides backup for the front counter positions. An employee in this position uses an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) software to process customer requests, convert data into formatted spreadsheets, prepare and maintain reports and records; while performing responsible accounting and clerical work. Position is responsible for acting as a town receptionist and providing information or referral to citizens when requested.
- Provides excellent customer service. Acts as a town receptionist and provides information or referral to citizens. Handles high volume of customer calls and walk-ins for water/sewer inquiries and other pertinent information; assists customers either by telephone, electronically or in person with questions and information; assists customers with completing forms for the finance department
- Processes customer in-person and online requests to setup new water and sewer accounts, or close existing accounts; sends informational emails to new customers; maintains customer files
- Creates service orders for initiating and stopping water service, re-reads, meter repairs, meter replacement or leak checks. Assigns work orders to meter reader or repair crew. Monitors service order workloads and completion
- Documents, obtains approval and process courtesy leak adjustments; notifies customers of potential leaks or high consumption via telephone, email or letter; generates delinquent and cut-off notices; posts meter readings and changes to accounts
- Receives non-sufficient funds (NSF) checks returned from the bank; prepares and tracks letters to original payees, notifying them of the returned check status; prepares and mails invoices and letters for returned checks
- Assists the utility billing supervisor in customer collections. Using tact and diplomacy, makes proactive customer calls for past due collections and other revenue generating activities
- Prepares various types of billings for mailing, i.e. water bills and delinquency notices
- Performs other duties as required
- High school diploma or GED required
- One to two years’ experience and/or training involving customer service; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- MS Word and Excel experience required
- ERP system experience preferred
- 8:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
- Herndon Municipal Center, 777 Lynn Street