Director of Research Communications
The Director of Research Communications is responsible for elevating the University of Maryland’s national and global reputation as a leading public research university by building awareness of—and engagement with—the university’s diverse and rapidly-growing portfolio of advanced research and innovation. This person is a key member of the leadership team of University Communications and directly supports the communications needs of the Division of Research.
The Director will develop and execute an integrated plan of national media outreach, internal communications, digital media, social media, and marketing. Working closely with colleagues in Strategic Communications and the academic and research units across campus, this individual will serve as a leader for communications and outreach related to Maryland research, innovation, and entrepreneurship. The Director will work with a team of highly-focused, dedicated professionals who will collaborate with communications, marketing and outreach professionals throughout the university to produce superb digital and print materials, place stories in the national and international media, and track measurable results.
Education (including licenses, certifications, etc.):
Bachelor’s degree required.
A minimum of 7 years of experience in hands-on media relations, communications, marketing, journalism, publishing, science writing, or a closely related field.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Ability to build and sustain constructive relationships and coalitions with faculty and staff across campus.
• Ability to prioritize and advance multiple complex tasks at one time, to work with diverse constituencies, and to manage competing obligations in a large, multi-faceted, fast-paced environment.
• Proven track-record of meeting or exceeding objectives, keen judgment and problem-solving skills.
• Skilled in the use of a wide variety of communication media on multiple platforms including print, web, email, video, traditional media (print and broadcast) and social media.
• Superb writing and presentation skills and the ability to translate complex information into relevant and understandable terms.
• Proficiency with basic office software and systems required to perform the responsibilities of this position: Google suite, Microsoft Office suite, presentation software, media distribution software, databases, etc.
Apply for Director of Research Communications
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly