IT Senior Network Engineer
Position #: 126109
The Senior Network Engineer’s role is to ensure the on-going stability, integrity, functionality and evolution of the University of Maryland’s Cisco CUCM VoIP telephony, call center, collaboration and E911 systems and processes. In addition this position will provide engineering support for the UMD local area networks, external connectivity and network services.
The position is heavily involved with full life-cycle service planning and implementation, which includes developing plans for the network aspects of service strategy, service design, service transition, service operations and continual service improvement. This work is done in collaboration with the Principal Network Architect and other Network Engineering colleagues, as well as other stakeholders to gather and refine requirements, while also staying current with industry trends and vendor capabilities. This position requires strong analysis and planning skills in order to develop both high-level voice system, network and network-related service roadmaps as well as detailed implementation plans. Implementation plans include, but are not limited to service improvements and upgrades (both client facing and administrative), equipment upgrades/replacements, and general design, security, and architecture improvements. This position requires an extensive understanding of and experience with VoIP-based telephony, the SIP protocol and Cisco’s CUCM VoIP platform, and may require the development, deployment or integration of new voice services.
This position also involves the planning, design, and implementation of voice and network infrastructure projects. The Senior Network Engineer should be able to work both independently and as part of a team. Project management skills and experience are required. The Senior Network Engineer is expected to be the project manager/lead on a portion of the department’s projects. This includes meeting with the stakeholders, gathering requirements, pulling in resources within the team and outside in order to coordinate their efforts, create and present designs, oversee and effect the implementation of assigned projects, and handoff support to the Operations Organization.
Documentation is a critical component of this position. Design documents will contain diagrams, purpose statements, stakeholder requirements, test plans, required personnel and hardware resources, cost estimates and schedules. Other duties include managing network resources and assisting in the management of network management systems and other support systems. Presentation skills are required to present designs, market solutions to stakeholders, and to provide training to operations staff and medium sized groups (<50). This position requires the mentoring of junior personnel within the Division of IT. This can involve a considerable amount of effort and time training, shadowing, guiding, and reviewing colleagues’ work activities and products.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; or an equivalent combination of education and experience; and 7 years’ experience in large-scale network engineering and telephony activities for mission-critical networks (i.e. SP/ASP/Web hosting/Large Enterprise).
Associates degree and 9 years related experience. H.S. Diploma and 11 years related experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Strong knowledge of and experience with network design and engineering activities.
Technical knowledge of, and experience working with:
- Cisco routers and switches and associated technologies and protocols; configuration, operation and troubleshooting.
- Cisco CUCM (Cisco Unified Communications Manager) configuration, operation and troubleshooting.
- VoIP signaling protocols, primarily SIP but including MGCP and H.323
- Cisco Cube SBC configuration, operation and troubleshooting
- Cisco Unity voice-mail system configuration, operation and troubleshooting
- Redsky E911 platform or similar E911 management system configuration, operation and troubleshooting
- Technical knowledge and experience with network management and analysis tools such as SNMP probes and Network Sniffers or similar devices or programs.
- Technical knowledge of and experience of DNS, DHCP, IPAM and NTP protocols and systems.
- Technical knowledge of network systems, protocols, and standards such as: TCP/IP networking, 802.1x, STP, OSPF, IPv6, BGP, SIP, VoIP.
Ability to design, build and manage large complicated networking configurations.
Ability to create scripts and other automation solutions to aid in the completion of migration and integration tasks.
Proven experience and success with enterprise-level network engineering, design, and implementation.
Proven ability to configure Cisco routers, switches and VoIP elements.
Excellent hardware troubleshooting experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Information Technology, Information Systems or related technical field preferred.
- Network related certification such as CCNA, CCNP, CCDA, or CCIE certifications desirable.
- Experience in a higher education environment is preferred, but not required.
- Technical knowledge of network management and analysis protocols, techniques and tools such as SNMP, Netflow, network simulation or similar devices or programs.
- Administration, installation, configuration, upgrading, and troubleshooting experience with server operating systems, including: Windows, UNIX (Linux/FreeBSD).
- Identify problems in the enterprise network infrastructure and propose solutions.
- Design, implement and support distribution network, data center network infrastructure and network security services.
- Integrate disparate systems.
- Identify functions that can be improved by process development and implementation.
- Analytic skills and ability to contribute new thoughts and participate in collaborative problem solving and decision-making.
- Creativity, originality, and ingenuity in the many technical and human situations encountered in professional service.
Additional information: this position does not provide sponsorship for visas.
Physical demands: predominantly operates in an office environment though significant periods of time will be spent in computer room and communications equipment spaces for installation, testing, and troubleshooting. Some work (less than 10%) requires moving and lifting of heavy communications equipment.
Best consideration date: 03/01/2021 or open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/81084