School Bus Driver
School Bus Driver
Bethesda, MD, US
30+ days agoRequisition ID: 1155
Position: School Bus Driver
Supervisor: Transportation Manager
Status: Part-Time Regular Hourly/Non-exempt
Rochambeau, The French International School of Washington, DC (Rochambeau) is a private nonprofit organization with the mission to ensure that the Lycée Rochambeau will provide our students with the best of both the French and the American educational systems, based on a French curriculum recognized and approved by the best schools and universities worldwide, in a nurturing and rigorous environment, using a state of the art infrastructure and employing an outstanding faculty, to encourage diversity and carefully guide every child on the path to achieve excellence and success.
School Bus Driver to operate a certified school bus to transport our youth safely and efficiently to/from assigned locations utilizing a pre-designated route.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The following are typical work responsibilities. A reasonable accommodation may be made to enable a qualified individual with a disability to perform essential functions.
- Schedule includes split shift (morning and afternoon) with frequent overtime or night work required, etc. Timely and regular attendance is an expectation of performance for all employees. To ensure adequate staffing, positive employee morale, and to meet expected productivity standards throughout the organization, employees will be held accountable for adhering to their workplace schedule.
- Checks/confirms assignments. Carefully follows directions. Seeks advice when expectations are unclear. Takes the initiative to perform routine tasks
- Transport children, parents, and or staff by driving a school bus or passenger van to and from school(s), and to and from special outings / field trips while adhering to driving rules and regulations for providing a safe vehicle in the State of Maryland.
- Maintain safety of Rochambeau fleet of vehicles by observing visual defects and checking operating systems routinely. Maintain safety of Rochambeau members by exerting control and/or discipline in the Rochambeau vehicle and report all problems to the Transportation Manager and or Rochambeau administration.
- Maintain good communications with supervisor and Rochambeau administration; checking-in with the Transportation Manager or designee
daily. Maintain consistent, punctual, and regular attendance.
- Transport children to school by picking-up children at assigned stops; instructing children when it is safe to board the vehicle; awareness of pickup
roster, established loading and unloading procedures, and observance of children hurrying to the pick-up site so no one is left behind.
- Maintains safe conditions while traveling by enforcing safety and discipline rules and following all vehicle and driving laws as outlined for the State of Maryland.
- Uses proper protocol when operating communication equipment.
- Practices defensive driving techniques. Complies with all motor vehicle laws (e.g., speed limits, complete stops, etc.). Note: Safety is the top priority even if delays disrupt the bus schedule.
- Reports all traffic citations and accidents. Documents all injuries that require medical attention. · Provides dependable service.
- Maintains established routes and time schedules. Suggests route modifications that improve efficiency. Transports only authorized passengers.
Reports road hazards or other problems that may interfere with pupil transportation services.
- Complete daily all pre-and post-trip inspections for safety and security by inspecting and documenting in Rochambeau vehicle logs prior to locking the vehicle and completing daily shift.
- Fuel and re-fuel vehicles weekly as needed. Monitors fluid levels (e.g., oil, windshield washer, brake, transmission, etc.). Documents fuel consumption and mileage. Assist with transporting vehicles for regularly scheduled maintenance with Rochambeau pre-designated mechanic and offer mechanical or maintenance support work as requested.
- Implement emergency plan in the event of an accident; appropriately administer to the needs of the members on-board, administer first-aid, and
complete accident report and documentation for all accidents or incidents that occur in Rochambeau vehicle.
- Clean interior of Rochambeau vehicles daily; clean exterior of Rochambeau vehicles weekly, or as assigned.
- Promotes the proper use, care, and security of school property.
- Reports discipline problems, vandalism, graffiti, equipment malfunctions, and other related concerns.
- Attempts to identify and report vehicles that fail to comply with traffic regulations (e.g., failure to stop for flashing bus lights, passing in prohibited
zones, etc.). Understand and adhere to all organizational policies and procedures in regards to transportation. Understand and implement the
mission of Rochambeau.
- Make routine safety checks, report problems or equipment malfunctions; Maintain records of all trips; File accident reports when necessary; Report
incidents which affect the safety of students; and physically assist students on and off bus when necessary.
- Attend local or regional training and development sessions, as required.
- Ability to work overtime to complete required bus routes/trips.
- Arrives punctually in order to meet responsibilities in driving responsibilities and assignments. Maintains close communication with Transportation
Manager regarding planned or emergency absences for the same reason.
- Serves as a positive role model for children in the program through appropriate dress, speech, attitude and courtesy.
- Possess reliable transportation to and from Rochambeau school bus depot site.
- Maintains highest degree of confidentiality, integrity and professionalism in staff, student and volunteer matters.
- Complies with organization and site policies and follows procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE and/or QUALIFICATIONS:
- HS diploma or equivalent desired
- 2 years verifiable school bus driving experience desired
- Possess a valid Maryland Driver's License (CDL) with Passenger and School Bus Endorsements, and air brake certification.
- Possess a current DOT Certificate and Card
- Possess current First Aid and CPR Certification
- Have a valid, current United States driver license for the class of vehicle that the individual drives or seeks to drive.
- Immediately notify his/her manager if his/her driver license is suspended, revoked, or has any limitations or restrictions. The manager should notify the Director of Facilities & Transportation who will contact the Insurance & Risk carrier in these instances.
- Meet the insurability standards set forth by the insurance carrier: A driver may not have no more than 3 moving violations within the past three years, no violations of Reckless Driving or Driving Under the Influence for the past five years and no violations on record for habitual offender or vehicular homicide.
- Observe all applicable federal, state, and local motor vehicle laws, ordinances and regulations.
- Promptly report all incidents and accidents, including any damage to a school vehicle, in accordance with established procedures and cooperate in any investigation of the incident and any subsequent proceedings.
- Wear a seat belt at all times.
- Promptly pay for any tickets or other citations received while operating a school vehicle. The school is not responsible for traffic, toll, or parking fines.
- Drivers will be required to provide a Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) twice a year (August and February) to the Transportation Manager or Human Resources Manager. Failure to provide motor vehicle records may subject driver to suspension and or termination of employment
- Take and pass all required School training
- Possess a safe driving record based on Department of Motor Vehicles by providing/submitting to Rochambeau’s Human Resources Department a
copy of Driver’s MDV record twice a year.
- Meets all mandated health requirements (e.g., a negative tuberculosis test, etc.).
Acknowledgment: As an employee of Rochambeau, The French International School of Washington, DC, I am placed in a position of confidence and trust. Employment may give employee access to confidential information, and unauthorized disclosure of this information would cause irreparable damage to students and staff of Rochambeau. In accepting this position, I agree that during and after my employment with Rochambeau, I will not use or disclose any confidential information except as may be necessary and appropriate in fulfillment of my duties.
Required Abilities: The following personal characteristics and skills are important for successful performance.
- Demonstrates professionalism and contributes to a positive work environment.
- Acknowledges personal responsibility for decisions and conduct.
- Performs prescribed activities efficiently with limited supervision.
- Ability to work overtime to complete required bus routes/trips.
- Reacts productively to interruptions/changing conditions. Meets deadlines despite time constraints.
- Effectively uses listening, observation, reading, verbal, nonverbal, and writing skills.
- Prepares accurate and timely paperwork. Verifies and correctly enters data.
- Exhibits consistency, resourcefulness, and resilience.
- Uses diplomacy and exercises self-control when dealing with other individuals. Respects personal privacy; does not gossip.
- Maintains an acceptable attendance record and is punctual.
The work requires routine walking, standing, and bending, and extended periods of time sitting while driving. Special requirements such as lifting heavy objects and frequent climbing. Ability to meet prescribed pre-employment and annual physical examination and testing requirements. Ability to complete pre- and post-trip bus inspections. Ability to lift heavy objects 50 lb. minimum. Must be able to sit for long period of time in the bus driver’s seat, reach the steering wheel and pedals, and wear the seat belt properly every day. Performing tasks that require strenuous physical exertion including traveling to meetings and work assignments.