State Superintendent of Schools
Maryland State Board of Education
State Superintendent of Schools Search
The Maryland State Board of Education (State Board) has an exciting and challenging leadership opportunity to make a difference for more than 900,000 public school students in the state. The board is seeking an individual to serve as the next State Superintendent of Schools who shares its commitment to putting the interests of students first and ensuring each child is prepared for the opportunities of the 21st-century economy, as well as prioritizing a solution to the additional challenges facing Maryland students as the result of COVID-19. Together, the 14-member board, the State Superintendent, and the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) are responsible for setting state standards for student, program, and operational performance while respecting the local autonomy of each school district.
The next State Superintendent will have the opportunity to build upon the strengths of the Maryland public school system. In 2020, U.S. News & World Report ranked Maryland fourth in the nation for "Best High Schools." Some 212 of Maryland's high schools were ranked with the following results: 20 schools, or 9.4%, ranked in the nation's top 5%, 41 schools, 19.3%, ranked in the top 10% nationally, and 84 schools, or 39.6%, ranked in the top 25% of the nation's schools. The rankings are based on six factors: College Readiness, College Curriculum Breadth, Math and Reading Proficiency, Math and Reading Performance, Underserved Student Performance, and Graduation Rate.
As in other states, there are challenges in terms of narrowing and eventually eliminating longstanding educational achievement gaps, particularly for those children who have traditionally fallen behind. The good news story is that Maryland values education and has been making impressive investments in providing and reforming education. In fact, Maryland is uniquely positioned to have the State Board, Governor, Legislature, parents, business community, and other key stakeholders focused and engaged in educating its children. Therefore, Maryland is seeking a dynamic educational executive who can seize the opportunity, build coalitions, inspire, and lead Maryland education.
The successful candidate will satisfy Maryland’s minimum statutory requirements for this position (Md. Code Annotated §2-302). The State Superintendent shall:
(1) Be an experienced and competent educator;
(2) Be a graduate of an accredited college or university;
(3) Have at least two (2) years of special academic and professional graduate preparation in an accredited college or university; and
(4) Have at least seven (7) years of experience in teaching and administration.
In addition, Maryland’s next State Superintendent will possess the following:
- A deep understanding of learning theory, curriculum, and instructional practice;
- Knowledge of today’s best practices in schools;
- Experience implementing meaningful educational reform;
- A proven record of innovative problem-solving, coupled with the ability to utilize a transparent, collaborative process in decision making that invites multiple perspectives;
- A financial background with the ability to manage hundreds of millions of dollars in state and federal funding, audit processes, and budgets;
- Experience and understanding of working and educating students to participate in an increasingly digital world;
- Experience with policymaking and the executive and legislative branches of government, including working with members of Congress and the U.S. Department of Education;
- Exceptional communication skills and the ability to inspire and engage various stakeholders;
- Leadership experience in large, diverse educational organizations, particularly one disrupted by the COVID-19 crisis; and
- Experience recruiting, working with, and retaining a diverse staff.
How to Apply
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, LLC is assisting the Maryland State Board of Education in this search. Applications and nominations are now being accepted. For a full application package, please include a cover letter, CV/resume and list of five references. Confidential inquiries, nominations, and application materials should be directed to Greenwood/Asher and Associates. Submission of application materials as PDF attachments is strongly encouraged. The search will be conducted with a commitment of confidentiality for candidates until finalists are selected. Initial screening of applications will begin immediately and will continue until an appointment is made.
Inquiries, nominations, and application materials should be directed to:
Jan Greenwood, Founder, Greenwood/Asher & Associates
Vice President & Managing Partner, Kelly
Julie Holley, Senior Executive Search Consultant
For more information about MSDE, including the full position description, please visit: http://marylandpublicschools.org
The Maryland State Department of Education does not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry/national origin, color, disability, gender identity/expression, marital status, race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation in matters affecting employment or in providing access to programs and activities and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. For inquiries related to Department policy, please contact:
Equity Assurance and Compliance Office of the Deputy State Superintendent for Finance and Administration Maryland State Department of Education 200 W. Baltimore Street - 6th Floor Baltimore, Maryland 21201-2595 410-767-0426 - voice, 410-767-0431 - fax, 410-333-6442 - TTY/TDD.