Senior Windows Systems Engineer, IT Senior Engineer
Senior Windows Systems Engineer, IT Senior Engineer
Position #: 126105
The University of Maryland Division of Information Technology (DIT) is seeking a Senior Windows Systems Engineer to join our Platform Services team. The primary purpose of this position is to deploy, maintain, enhance, and troubleshoot system, services, configurations, roles, and core applications deployed within the Division of Information Technology’s Active Directory infrastructure. Responsibilities include performing systems planning and development of new features; proactive management of the environments as well as the forecasting of capacity needs; assisting with the deployment of new applications and services for the campus; working with campus units to migrate from their Active Directory deployments to a centralized Active Directory infrastructure or troubleshooting their existing infrastructure; and play a key role in optimizing IT services using products within Microsoft’s System Center Suite. This individual must be a forward thinker who can proactively plan, multitask, troubleshoot, and possesses excellent organizational and communication skills.
The incumbent will also monitor system performance, investigate problems, interact with vendors, and serve as technical expert and ambassador of Microsoft technology for the campus. The position has a 24×7 support requirement, so the incumbent must be willing, able, and available to participate in a regular on-call rotation, work a flexible schedule, and respond to out-of-band emergencies when the need arises.
- Create, maintain and decommission servers running Windows Server 2016 and 2019 in on-premises and cloud environments.
- Hands-on deployment of new applications and services within a virtualized computing environment as well as providing tier II/III incident support.
- Develop increasing expertise in key technologies, focusing on virtualization within cloud environments.
- Interact directly with University staff to gather technical and business requirements, develop and implement solutions.
- Manage technologies in an enterprise environment with a drive for understanding customer needs and operational excellence.
- Communicate with vendors for upgrades and troubleshooting issues with software.
- Training and demonstration of product features and operation to non-technical customers.
- Document all platform service processes and procedures and maintain the artifacts in a document repository.
- Participate in disaster recovery (DR) planning and execution in support of customer requirements.
- Automate repetitive tasks where possible to improve service delivery and reduce operational overhead.
- Collaborate with the Security team to identify and remediate application and operating system vulnerabilities.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education, technical certifications or training, or work experience.
Minimum of 8 years of Microsoft systems administration, configuration and troubleshooting, with 3 years in an engineering role.
Proven technology expertise in designing, deploying, maintaining, troubleshooting, and securing services (LDAP, DNS, DHCP, Site Replication, etc.) in a highly available multi-site Active Directory infrastructure within a large enterprise.
Experience configuring and supporting high availability and disaster recovery scenarios for domain controllers and Active Directory services.
Experience creating, administering and troubleshooting Group Policies.
Experience deploying, integrating, configuring, and securing Microsoft Windows Servers 2012/ 2016/2019 and Windows 10 in Active Directory and standalone environments as well as hybrid environments (on-prem and cloud based).
In-depth understanding of Windows operating systems and general awareness of public cloud services.
Experience using Client Management Tools to automate and centrally manage servers and desktops in an enterprise environment.
Experience automating repeatable processes using PowerShell.
Experience with patching, updating and vulnerability remediation for Windows OS and third party applications.
Ability to multi-task and adjust to changing priorities.
Experience performing systems planning and development to include new features in the Windows server operating system as well as the ability to deploy new applications and services.
Experience with virtualization in a large enterprise environment.
Effective written and verbal communication skills. Must assist, guide, and share information with technical and non-technical personnel.
Must be able to work well with others in a cooperative work environment.
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline.
Experience Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager (formerly known as System Center Configuration Manager) or Intune.
Proven technology expertise in more than one relevant core area such as, Azure Active Directory, BitLocker, Office365, Microsoft SQL 2014 or newer, AlwaysOn Availability, IIS, MacOS, JAMF, scripting, Splunk, Tripwire, monitoring tools.
Experience creating and maintaining infrastructure using public cloud services, specifically AWS or Azure.
Working knowledge of COTS applications.
MS Certifications – MCSE: Core Infrastructure, MCSA Windows Server 2012/2016 or MCITP:Enterprise Administrator, Microsoft Certified: Azure Administrator Associate.
Understanding of a higher education environment.
Strong customer service orientation and presentation skills.
Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
Additional information: this position does not provide sponsorship for visas.
Physical demands: predominantly operates in an office environment. Some periods of time may be spent in computer rooms for installation, testing, and troubleshooting. Some work (less than 5%) requires moving and lifting of server equipment.
Best consideration date: 02/24/2021 or open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/80992