a Payroll and Position Control Manager
Howard Community College (HCC) is an exciting place to work, learn, and grow! HCC has been awarded the distinction as a "Great College to Work for" since 2009 from The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Howard Community College values diversity among its faculty, staff and student population. We are an innovative institution that is committed to responding to the ever-changing needs and interests of a diverse and dynamic community. No matter where you want to go in your career, you can get there from here!
The Finance Department at Howard Community College is recruiting for a Payroll and Position Control Manager who will be responsible for supervising and coordinating the operations of the payroll department to include the processing of payroll, remitting tax and benefit payments, and month-end close. Employee is responsible for maintaining the colleges' position control in coordination with human resources. Employee is responsible for legal and college compliance requirements related to payroll processing and reporting. Employee supervises the area of payroll and benefits accounting to ensure accurate and timely processing of all materials related to that area.
- Ensures proper accounting of all transactions relating to payroll and benefits accounting.
- Coordinates, analyzes and verifies payroll and benefits information to ensure accuracy.
- Employee is responsible for the coordination, calculation and payment of health and dental premiums to the county government, and all other monthly benefits premium payments.
- Reviews, verifies and reconciles all related payroll G/L Accounts.
- Prepares internal reports related to position monitoring and control. Employee oversees and reviews the monthly reconciliation of actual to budgeted wages for budgeted staff in all funds.
- Employee assists with the budget development process for various cost centers and funds during budget development.
- Employee assists with budget development for employee benefits.
- Performs analysis of payroll data and budget development materials related to wages and positions.
- Assists cost center administrators with payroll and benefit cost related issues.
- Prepares financial reports, surveys, state and federal reports related to payroll and benefits.
- Manages and supervises payroll personnel; assigns and reviews work of subordinate supervisor and related personnel.
- Recommends, implements, and coordinates day to day policies and procedures for the payroll/benefits area.
- Ensures personal use of college issued cell phones is paid for by the employee.
- Ensures compliance with federal and financial aid guidelines related to grant employees.
- Responsible to review all legal requirements and adherence to college policy and procedures related to area assigned.
- Responsible for Cobra/retiree health insurance reconciliation and related journal entries.
- Prepares quarterly federal tax returns (941), files unemployment reports and reconciles, prepares and distributes W-2's.
- Prepares communications necessary to inform college community of actions, updates or revisions concerning payroll and benefits processing.
- Ensures security and confidentiality of all payroll, benefits, and position related documents.
- Prepares all accruals, audit work papers, and financial analysis needed for year-end close out.
- Reviews and authorizes actions related to the processing of area materials and deviations.
- Develops, monitors, and controls accounting cycle of payroll/benefits department. Ensures accurate processing of materials and adherence to deadlines. Analyzes and proposes changes to area's organization and structure to maximize efficiencies and effectiveness.
- Prepares, implements and coordinates updates of payroll module to ensure accuracy and efficiencies of processing payroll.
- Manages the flexible spending plan.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in business, accounting, or related field of study and 5 years of experience in payroll or 10 years of progressively increased level of responsibility in payroll.
- Minimum of 1 year of supervision.
- Extensive knowledge of payroll principles and procedures, including the preparation and processing of payroll, payroll taxes, payroll tax laws, and accounting procedures and principles as they relate to all areas assigned.
- Ability to determine changes in regulations that affect our policies and procedures related to areas assigned.
- Ability to use own initiative to locate and resolve problems.
- Ability to coordinate with other areas of the college and external agencies to perform duties.
- Ability to interact tactfully and to deal courteously and effectively with others.
- Ability to interview, hire, train, direct, evaluate, discipline and provide supervisory support to subordinates.
- Ability to analyze accounting and administrative systems to ensure accuracy and recommend and initiate modifications if necessary.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office, Windows, and Payroll software; Colleague experience preferred.
- Ability to operate routine accounting machines such as a calculator, computer terminal, copier, and printer.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Regular attendance is a requirement of this job.
- Performs all duties while considering the impact of any actions on the college's sustainability initiatives in the areas of environmental stewardship, social responsibility, and economic prosperity.
Hours Per Week: 37.5
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday; 8:00 - 4:30pm
Compensation: $64,702 plus excellent medical & dental, tuition reimbursement and paid leave
Open Until Filled
Best Consideration: February 19, 2021
*Pre-employment criminal background investigation is a condition of employment.
As a participating member of the Maryland Retirement and Pension System, HCC offers two retirement options: The Pension, which requires a 7% employee contribution and The ORP, a 403(b) with a 7.25% employer contribution only. Employees in positions that do not require a bachelor's degree must participate in The Pension. Employees that possess a bachelor's degree and hold professional positions that require a bachelor's degree may choose to participate in either The Pension or The ORP.
Howard Community College (HCC) is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer & values diversity within its faculty, staff & student population. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
HCC understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance with the job application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 443-518-1100.
Please submit the following:
- Completed Application (Candidates will be evaluated on completing the college's application in full)
- Cover Letter
This position will have some remote work due to COVID, but some training will occur in person. The position will be on campus in Columbia, Maryland when we return to in person learning with the option of occasional telework. HCC does not offer relocation benefits. Candidates must live in the commutable area or relocate at their own expense. Click on the embedded link to apply-> http://howardcc.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=127846