1 day left
- Full Time
The City Administrator serves as the Chief Administrative Officer of the City of Cumberland and is responsible for directing the day-to-day functions of the government. The administrator is appointed by and serves at the pleasure of the Mayor and City Council (collectively known hereafter as Council) and is responsible for the supervision of the administrative affairs of the City, for carrying out policies, orders and instructions formulated by the Council, for providing professional guidance to the Council, and for serving as the chief spokesperson for the City. The City Administrator exercises direct supervision over all Department Directors and indirect supervision over all personnel employed by the City.
Qualities, Knowledge and Skills:
The Mayor and City Council will be seeking a leader to fill the position of City Administrator who is able to effectively and successfully carry out directions from Council to ensure that their stated vision, goals, and values for the organization are achieved. A proven history of excellent leadership qualities such as trustworthiness, honesty, creativity, vision, diplomacy and tact will be essential.
The individual must possess extensive knowledge of the principles and practices of public administration and local government operations and of the principles and practices applicable to each of the principal functions and services of the City. An individual with proven leadership experience in local or regional government in a variety of governmental functions as well as union negotiation experience will be sought.
Emphasis will be placed on the possession of excellent interpersonal skills, communication skills, and public relations skills that enable the ability to maintain highly productive working relationship with elected officials, employees, various board and commissions, and the general public.
Experience in government budgeting and fiscal management skills will be critical.
The following list is intended to illustrate the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
1. Is responsible to the Council for the proper administration of all city affairs.
2. Meets with, advises, and carries out directions from the Council, working to ensure that the stated vision, goals and values for the organization are carried out.
3. Attends all meetings of the Council and participates in Council's deliberations.
4. Reports to Council regularly on the state of City affairs, keeps Council fully advised on the financial condition of the City, current problems and future needs.
5. Recommends actions, policies, and proposals to improve the economic condition and efficient operations of the City.
6. Manages the administration and functions of the City and its departments and offices
7. Works closely with the City Solicitor, Director of Administrative Services and other Department Directors to accomplish City goals and objectives.
8. Works closely with the Director of Administrative Services and City Comptroller to prepare and submit an annual budget and ensure that the adopted budget is implemented.
9. Appoints and, when necessary, suspends or terminates all officers and employees of the City, except as otherwise provided by contract, statute or ordinance.
10. Recommends and ensures the implementation of personnel administration policies and procedures, including but not limited to those dealing with compensation, job performance, evaluation systems, salary administration procedures, and employee training programs.
11. Represents the City during public meetings and the legislative process, and within the community through interaction with individual citizens, businesses, non-profit groups, religious and fraternal groups, the media, etc.
12. Represents the City during union negotiations for collective bargaining agreements and oversees the implementation of those agreements to ensure fair wages, benefits and other terms and conditions of employment.
13. Performs related work and other duties as assigned by Council.
Education and Experience:
Possession of a Bachelor's Degree in either Public Administration or Business Administration, with a Master's Degree preferred (MPA or MBA) and a minimum of five (5) years of senior level leadership experience in local or regional government, and in a variety of governmental functions such as public safety, streets, sanitation, planning, community development or personnel administration. A comparable amount of education in other relevant academic disciplines may be substituted for the minimum qualifications. Must also show demonstrated knowledge with budget preparation and control, strategic planning, and a thorough knowledge of public administration principles and practices.
Must have the use of sensory skills in order to effectively communicate and interact with other employees and the public through the use of the telephone and personal contact as normally defined by the ability to see, read, talk, hear, handle or feel objects and controls. Physical capability to effectively use and operate various items of office related equipment, such as, but not limited to a personal computer, calculator, copier, and fax machine. Some standing, walking, moving, climbing, carrying, bending, kneeling, crawling, reaching and handling, pushing and pulling. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The following requirements must be met prior to employment:
1. Successful completion of all requirements of the selection process.
2. Successful completion of a reference and standard City of Cumberland background check, including criminal history.
3. Successful completion of a physical and drug test, paid for by the City.
A cover letter must be received by postal mail or email by 4:00 PM on Friday, February 26, 2021. Application screening and interview scheduling may take several weeks from the closing date of recruitment to complete. Questions regarding this matter and any follow-up documentation may be sent to:
April Howser, Human Resources Officer
City of Cumberland
57 N. Liberty Street
Cumberland, MD 21502
Phone: (301) 759-6415
Apply for City Administrator
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly