The Office of D.C. Councilmember Elissa Silverman (I-At-Large) is searching for a Communications Director to develop and implement an innovative strategy to share information with local and national press, D.C. residents and businesses, and the public at large. The ideal candidate is one who knows how to optimize conventional communications platforms while not being afraid to experiment and push the envelope to find even better ways to exchange information. The person in this position will oversee crafting the message for the councilmember on issues big and small and disseminating this in easy-to-understand language. This is not an entry-level position.
- Develop and implement communications strategy, including optimal use of email systems, CRM, the councilmember’s website, and social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram;
- Manage the development and distribution of materials for the councilmember including, but not limited to, press releases, formal statements, one-page legislative summaries, talking points, and monthly newsletters;
- Create and maintain relationships with local outlets and reporters across print, broadcast and social media, working as an aggressive and quick-thinking originator of stories to pitch;
- Serve as a leader in time-sensitive situations by advising the councilmember and colleagues on how to address issues of the day and executing a messaging strategy; and
- Serve as on-record spokesperson for the councilmember as needed.