Loan Officer (Small Business and Commercial Real Estate)
The ideal person for the position knows how to work in a dynamic collaborative environment and has strong financial analysis and writing skills. He or she seeks to play a pivotal role in a growing community loan fund that is committed to mission-oriented lending across the region.
Under guidance and supervision, the Loan Officer is responsible for performing financial underwriting tasks. This includes assessment of credit and business risks of loans under consideration using qualitative and quantitative tools. He or she will perform financial analyses and provide credit recommendations based on a review of CFE’s underwriting criteria. As part of a compact team, the position’s responsibilities expand beyond core credit analysis. The Loan Officer is also expected to lead business development efforts aimed at growing our loan portfolio. Working on reaching underserved corners of the credit markets is central to the role. Versatility and flexibility across a wide spectrum of business tasks are key to the success of the role.
Additional responsibilities include providing competent, thorough, courteous, and efficient customer service to both internal and external customers with a minimal level of direction, guidance, and oversight.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs financial statement spreads analysis and independently interprets them, delivering written reviews of financial information.
- Handles loan originations from beginning to end under the supervision of senior staff.
- Day to day functions may include:
- Creating financial statements with the use of Excel
- Identifying information needed to complete an analysis by reviewing a credit file
- Conducting sectoral and business model research relevant to loan applications under review
- Performing interim and annual financial covenant compliance (loan monitoring), in close collaboration with Portfolio Manager
- Contacting borrowers to solicit updated financial information as required.
- Works with Data Administrator on analyzing figures around economic development metrics, including designing and implementing client-focused surveys.
- Participates, in close collaboration with other members of the team, in the preparation of proposals and periodic reports to funders.
- Collaborates with Loan Closing Specialist in preparing loan documentation.
- Works in partnership with other members of the team on business development activities, including participating in client and/or prospect calls and representing the organization in meetings with potential business partners.
- Performs other duties as may be deemed necessary and appropriate
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, AND EDUCATION
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business, economics, finance, or equivalent combination of training and experience from a four (4) year college or university.
- Ideal candidate has a minimum of 2-5 years of commercial or small business lending and/or 1-5 years of credit analysis for commercial loan underwriting, with 2-4 years’ experience in mission-oriented financial analysis, deal structuring, and relationship and loan processing management preferred
- Strong writing and composition skills.
- Experience or interest in working with diverse low-income communities.
- Proven ability to build relationships with potential clients and business partners.
- Spanish is a plus.
- Experience with a CRM platform, definitely a plus.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in Excel.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Knowledge of and/or interest in community development, racial equity and inclusion.
In short, we are looking for an individual who would help us improve how we work day-to-day, and maximize the growth and impact of our organization in the long term.
The right fit would be someone intellectually ambitious, willing to work hard, and always holding him or herself accountable to a high bar of performance. Sounds like you, or someone you know? Please reach out!
Competitive nonprofit salary, commensurate with experience, plus a generous benefits package that includes employee-sponsored health and dental, life insurance, health savings account with annual employer contributions, retirement plan with employer matching, paid parental leave and a generous paid time off program.
Our office is a unique work environment that is open, innovative and collaborative. We are conveniently located at Thomas Circle in the District. CFE provides generous transportation benefits up to the IRS minimum for qualified work travel.
Due to the national health emergency the CFE team is currently working remotely. We anticipate returning to the office sometime later this year. It is important for our employees to live in the DC, Maryland or Virginia area. The ability to work remotely and collaboratively is an important aspect of this opportunity.
Selected candidates will be contacted for an initial phone screen on a rolling basis. The position is expected to start by early February 2021.
Please email resume and cover letter to Jobs@cfenterprises.org. No phone calls, please.
City First Enterprises is committed to serving the communities in which we work and live. The City First family is dedicated to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion in our work and hiring practices. City First Enterprises is fully focused on equality and economic inclusion and believes that diversity in opinion and background only helps further that mission.
We provide equal employment opportunities to all people regardless of ethnicity, age, religion (and lack thereof), disability that can reasonably be accommodated, marital status (including domestic partner status), ancestry, nationality, national origin, family status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), other medical condition (physical or mental), AIDS/HIV status, genetic information, sexual identity, gender identification (including transgender status), sexual orientation, and veteran status.
CFE is an equal opportunity employer.