The University of Maryland Institute for Advanced Computer Studies (UMIACS) brings together faculty performing cutting-edge interdisciplinary research from across campus. Our development team is responsible for custom development of all the internal tools that make the machine tick, as well as software development projects that we design, build, and maintain with our partners.
We are well-respected for our technical expertise on Campus, and are looking for a motivated developer to join us and take us to the next level of capabilities.
- Work to extend and improve code bases with our partners to fund research activities.
- Improvement and maintenance of web applications for account management, file storage/sharing, network configuration, and others.
- Development of command-line applications used by our Technical Staff to manage our domain.
- Tracking software vulnerabilities for our application stack and applying timely updates.
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of two year of work experience in software development.
- General knowledge of the software development life cycle, user interface design, and software testing.
- Proficiency in Python and other dynamic scripting languages.
- Ability to work independently on most projects, but willing to ask for help when needed.
- Strong communication and analytical skills with a strong attention to detail.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline.
- Experience in developing in Django and other Python frameworks.
- Serious about software quality with the ability to know how to design solutions to the right level of complexity for the task at hand.
- Looking for someone responsible and with integrity.
Must be able to type, read a computer screen, and converse (listen to and speak with) with customers and fellow IT staffers. Must be able to lift, twist, and bend in order to be able to move computer equipment.