Job Title: Evaluation Manager
Location: Remote or Ashburn, VA. The hiring manager for this position works remotely.
Salary Range: $62,581 to $73,625
The National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA) is the leading not-for-profit organization dedicated to building strong, vibrant and resilient communities through the power of parks and recreation. With more than 60,000 members, NRPA advances this mission by investing in and championing the work of park and recreation professionals and advocates — the catalysts for positive change in service of equity, climate-readiness, and overall health and well-being. For more information, visit www.nrpa.org. For digital access to NRPA’s flagship publication, Parks & Recreation, visit www.parksandrecreation.org.
NRPA is currently seeking an Evaluation Manager to join our Research, Evaluation, and Technology department.
The Evaluation Manager supports NRPA’s growing evaluation activities. They provide data analysis and reporting support that furthers NRPA’s goals in the areas of community health & wellness, park access, resiliency, and equity.
This position plays a key role providing evaluation support for grant programs in communities across the United States. This position is also responsible for coordinating the data collection, analysis, and reporting of key data to help the organization and the Programs, Partnerships, and Development team measure progress toward long-term goals.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Providing evaluation support for several grant programs, including, but not limited to:
- Collaborating with the Programs, Partnerships, and Development team members and other departments to develop effective evaluation plans for grant programs
- Measuring the short- and long-term impact of national community health, equitable park access, and resiliency initiatives using a wide variety of quantitative and qualitative data sources
- Analyzing, reporting, and presenting evaluation results in a variety of formats
- Conducting site work and evaluation-related training for grants (e.g., park observations. administering neighborhood surveys, site visits, survey administration training)
- Executing the day-to-day responsibilities of the organization-wide and grants performance measurement systems, including, but not limited to:
- Managing monthly, quarterly, and annual data collection and management
- Analyzing trends with a wide variety of data sources and drawing conclusions for the Research and Programs, Partnerships, and Development teams
- Reporting data through online dashboards, presentations, and meetings
- Collaborating with the Senior Evaluation Manager and members of the Research Team to improve the way that NRPA measures the performance and long-term impact of its grant and other initiatives.
- Working with the Vice President of Research, Evaluation and Technology and the Senior Evaluation Manager to support NRPA members in advancing local evaluation strategies to include developing resources, creating content, providing technical assistance, and facilitating trainings and other professional development offerings.
- Representing NRPA at conferences, meetings, and site visits with local park and recreation agencies.
- Undertaking special projects and assignments as directed.
- Seeking new methodologies for evaluating the impact of NRPA’s grants in communities and the overall impact of NRPA.
Required Materials and Application Process: Applicants without the following required materials may not be considered for this position:
• Cover Letter detailing your background and description how your experience and education would make you a successful candidate for this position (limit 2 pages).
Applicants will first be evaluated on the completeness and qualifications of application materials. Qualified applicants will then be invited for a phone screen and selected applicants will be invited to participate in virtual interviews. Finalists will be required to submit references for a reference and background check.
Who May Apply: This position is open to all qualified applicants.
NRPA values diversity, equity and inclusion and we are committed to integrating these core values more deeply into all elements of our daily work. NRPA is an equal opportunity employer and highly encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, ethnic minorities, new Americans (immigrants and refugees), LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities, native people, and veterans.
Discover the Benefits at NRPA!
To promote healthy lifestyles, at work and away, we have established programs like Teleworking, FlexTime Schedules, 37.5-hour workweek, Employee Assistance Programs, Educational Assistance Programs, Lunch-and-Learn sessions, and more. NRPA also offers a competitive Heath benefits package, generous PTO program where employees accrue 26 days of paid time per year, parental leave, and retirement and savings benefits.
Although we are currently working remotely due to public health safety, NRPA headquarters is situated on park land in Ashburn, Virginia. This campus boasts a warm professional environment, with a relaxing and peaceful view of nature at its finest! The space offers indoor & outdoor eating areas, as well as indoor & outdoor fitness opportunities, including an air-conditioned fitness room with access to showers, as well as foot trails for the outdoor enthusiast.
NRPA also maintains office space in Washington, D.C. for its D.C.-based staff that is centrally located and convenient to the blue, orange, silver and red subway lines.
- Bachelor's degree or continued education equivalent or industry certification or equivalent. Advanced degree is preferred.
- 3-5 years of work experience in data management and analysis; Research and/or program evaluation experience a plus.
- Coursework in introductory data analysis and statistics (descriptive statistics, t-test, regression, pre/post analysis, longitudinal analysis)
- Advanced MS Excel skills (pivot tables, formulas, descriptive statistics, data visualization); Experience creating and modifying tables and figures in MS Word; Experience with Tableau, SPSS, and ArcGIS preferred; Experience with MaxQDA (or other qualitative analysis tool) a plus.
- Experience designing and administering survey questions and analyzing survey data, including pre/post analyses. Experience using online survey tools.
- Demonstrated effective oral and written communication skills. Ability to communicate data analysis results and key findings to a wide variety of audiences.
- Interest and willingness to facilitate meetings, trainings, and professional development opportunities, and present on behalf of NRPA at conferences and meetings.
- Demonstrates an understanding of diversity, equity and inclusion concepts, is able to represent those in external relationships, and ensures that they are reflected in the programs and activities for which they are responsible.
- Passion for parks and recreation, health equity, community health, emerging public health threats, and/or social justice.
- Adheres to NRPA policies and contributes to an inclusive work culture.
- Willing to travel up to 25 days per year. Remote workers must visit NRPA Headquarters periodically, including attendance at the NRPA annual conference.
Candidate Work Style
- Excels in a dynamic, fast-paced work environment
- Self-directed and detail-oriented with a collaborative and professional team spirit to contribute to a collegial, team-oriented environment
- Willing and able to learn new skills and tools, as needed