Interim Publications Director
The American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET) is a 4,000-member scientific society whose members conduct basic and clinical pharmacological research and work for academia, government, large pharmaceutical companies, small biotech companies, and non-profit organizations. Our members' research efforts help develop new medicines and therapeutic agents to fight existing and emerging diseases.
ASPET is seeking an experienced society publishing professional to lead its journals publishing program for a period of two years with the possibility of extending. This publishing professional will be a part of the small team that runs the publications program and co-creates our publications strategy – and leads its implementation.
The scholarly publishing environment is changing rapidly, and ASPET is undertaking a strategic review of its journals’ portfolio. As our Interim Publications Director, it would be your role to take on a hands-on approach to ensure that our current operations remain on an even keel, while also working with the Executive Officer and the Board of Publications Trustees in co-creating and delivering the next phase of our publications’ strategy.
ASPET currently self-publishes four highly regarded peer-reviewed journals, including The Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, which has been published since 1909, and Pharmacological Reviews, one of the top-ranking journals in pharmacology. ASPET is also a joint owner of another journal which is published by a commercial publisher.
The successful candidate will manage and contribute to the ongoing successful publications of ASPET’s current journals portfolio; work with the BPT and the EO to create and deliver the society’s publications strategy. This is a senior role, and the post-holder is expected to think innovatively, strategically and work with significant autonomy, as well as being responsible for and contributing to the day-to-day operation of ASPET’s publishing activities.
This position is a full-time, exempt, temporary 2-year position (with the possibility of extending), reporting to the Executive Officer (EO) and will work with the Editors-in-Chief, Board of Publications Trustees (BPT), ASPET Senior Staff, ASPET Council, Senior Peer Review Manager, Content Licensing and Sales Manager.
The Interim Director of Publishing will:
- Undertake day-to-day management of our peer review activities,
- Work with vendors,
- Have responsibility of ensuring our publications maintain their high quality,
- Co-creating our strategic plans,
- Have a sharp eye for detail and a drive for change, with a view to developing, improving, and changing the way we work.
The successful candidate has knowledge and experience in STEM or academic journals publishing, and ideally has experience of working in a society that has its own journals publishing operation. In addition:
- A Bachelor’s Degree required
- Ten (10) years of experience in journal publishing
- A strategic thinker able to view the portfolio as a whole and its place within the society and wider journals environment
- An aptitude for change and change management
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with a decisive and tactful approach
- Numerate and able to create and manage budgets and business plans
- Ability to work in a collaborative decision-making environment
- Strong project management and organization skills
- Prior supervisory experience
This position offers a competitive salary with exceptional benefits that include a 403(b)-retirement plan; generous paid time off; medical, dental and vision insurance plans; flexible spending; life and short- and long-term disability insurance; and more.
Staff is currently working remotely but when the office re-opens, on-site work will be required.
To apply, please go to www.faseb.org/employment. Attach a cover letter and a resume with salary requirements.
To learn more about ASPET, please visit www.aspet.org
ASPET is an equal opportunity employer.