Human Resources Program Assistant
4 days left
- Full Time
Human Resources (HR) Program Assistant
AMRIS Reference No: 4315
Term Type: Indeterminate
Term Details: This position is an LES (Locally Engaged Staff) position, subject to the Terms and Conditions of Employment for LES in Washington, United States
Department: Embassy of Canada in Washington, D.C., USA
Number of Vacancies: 1
Job Category: Human Resources
Salary: 61,669.00 USD plus benefits
Location: Washington, United States
Close date: Wednesday, January 20 2021 at 5:59 PM Eastern Time
Summary of Duties
Under the general supervision of the Head of the Human Resources Section, the HR Program Assistant provides coordination and administrative services in support of Human Resources in the Mission. The HR Program Assistant provides advice and information to internal and external clients based on the use or adaptation of standard rules, practices and procedures pertaining to various types of requests, recommends changes on procedures and practices to improve effectiveness, efficiency and cost-effectiveness and reports new or changing situations to the supervisor. The incumbent responds to inquiries for documentation and maintains files, records, databases and statistics in such areas of HRIS and employee record management; employee training administration; employee communications; and performance management and employee relations. The incumbent oversees the quality of information for reporting and decision-making and coordinates and performs the research, collection, verification and management of information for a range of subjects and cases for areas of responsibility. The incumbent also works on special / cyclical projects for the HR section and will have other duties as requested. The incumbent develops and maintains effective liaison with officers in other sections of the Embassy and officers in other Missions throughout the U.S., as well as with U.S./Canadian government agencies to obtain and provide information, advice and assistance.
Area of Selection/Eligibility
Open to internal and external applicants who are legal residents or citizens of United States, living in the greater Washington Metropolitan area, employees of the Embassy of Canada in Washington, D.C., employees of any Canadian Mission in the United States, spouses and dependents of Canada-based staff (CBS) at the Embassy of Canada in Washington, D.C. who meet all of the essential requirements stated below, and whose applications are received by the closing date. Please note that the Embassy of Canada in Washington, D.C. does not sponsor work authorizations directly or indirectly. The Government of Canada is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered on merit regardless of ethnic origin, religious belief, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other irrelevant factor.
Candidates will initially be screened against the Essential Qualifications relating to education, experience and language. Candidates must clearly demonstrate in their cover letter and CV how they meet each of these essential qualifications.
Successful completion of a secondary program AND four (4) years in a Human Resources role with experience in staffing, HR data research and analysis, and/or information management;
A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent AND a two (2) years in a Human Resources role with experience in staffing, HR data research and analysis, and/or information management.
Fluency in English (oral and written)
• Experience organizing events/meetings and project coordination;
• Experience preparing Human Resources reports; and
• Experience working with MS Office Excel spreadsheets.
The Rated Requirements relating to knowledge, abilities and competencies will also be assessed. Methods of assessment may include, but are not limited to, a written examination, an oral interview, role-play, practical tests, presentations and/or psychometric assessment.
Knowledge of general HR principles, including but not limited to HRMS database interface, general familiarity with HR policies and procedures, business processes, as well as internal monitoring and reporting.
• Effectively communicate HR information to clients, orally and in writing, using a clear and organized structure;
• Establish and maintain effective relationships with both internal and external clients at all levels in the organization;
• Analyze and compare information and correspondence, showing attention to detail, in order to provide input for reporting;
• Ability to identify and address issues; and
• Ability to create and maintain complex spreadsheets.
• Collegial/team player; and
Preference may be given to candidates who meet the Asset Qualifications. Where applicable, candidates must clearly demonstrate how they meet any asset qualifications in their cover letter and CV.
Working knowledge of French (oral and written)
• Normal hours of work for this position are in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of Employment for Locally Engaged Staff (LES) in the United States of 37.5 hours per week. The incumbent may be required to work overtime as needed.
• Due to the situation with COVID 19, many employees with the Embassy are currently teleworking. As the Embassy moves through its reopening phases, and based on the requirements of your position, the incumbent may be required to work on site at the Embassy. Once the Embassy returns to normal operations, the incumbent will be expected to work from the Embassy, as required.
Conditions of Employment
• The successful candidate will be required to obtain a Government of Canada Reliability Status which includes a criminal and credit background check;
• Have and retain the right to live and work in the United States including having status in accordance with U.S. protocol directives for foreign missions (US Citizen, LPR, or specific visa categories as required by the Department of State for employment in a foreign mission); and
• Before the Embassy will make an offer of employment, candidates must provide a local address as proof of residence in the specific city, region or country so that if selected, the address will appear on the offer letter.
Special Request from Mission/Additional Comments:
The Embassy offers a competitive salary plus leave and health benefits package. Leave includes paid vacation, sick, and family/personal leave. Health packages covers medical, dental, disability, and retirement. Other benefits include prime work location in proximity to Metro, standard 37.5-hour work week, on-site parking, on-site gym with cardio and weight room, and on-site cafeteria. The Embassy promotes work-life balance and offers a dynamic and healthy work environment.
Important Notes How to apply:
- Applications will only be considered when received through our portal. Link for this job poster: http://www.wfca-tpce.com/vacancyView.php?requirementId=4315
- Candidates are required to upload a cover letter and CV in English or French. Applications which do not include the requested documents or information in the CV or cover letter will be rejected. Any additional information must be included as part of these two attachments.
- Candidates who are unable to submit their application due to technical difficulties must report these to: LES-E-Recruitment-WSHDC@international.gc.ca prior to the closing date. Failure to so will result in the application being rejected
- Please do not use a tablet or cell phone to submit your application, as our on-line portal does not support mobile browsers. Candidates should only apply using a laptop or desktop computer.
- Only applications submitted in one of the official languages of Canada will be accepted (English or French). Candidates are entitled to participate in the recruitment process in the official language of their choice and to indicate their preferred official language in their application.
- Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidates to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required.
- Candidates who apply to this vacancy should include an email address that accepts email from unknown users and regularly check their email, including spam folder.
- Reference checks will be sought for candidates that reach interview stage and may form part of the selection process.
- The Embassy of Canada in Washington, D.C. does not reimburse any travel costs to and from interviews/exams nor does it reimburse any relocation costs.
- Candidates requiring any special assistance in attending exams or interviews are requested to inform us.
- The results of this recruitment process may also be used to establish an eligibility list of qualified candidates for similar openings at the Embassy of Canada in Washington, D.C. which might arise in the 12 months following the completion of this recruitment process.
- Our organization offers an inclusive workplace where respect, teamwork, and collaboration are part of our culture;
- Canada’s missions abroad are committed to promoting and supporting an environment free from harassment and discrimination, as well as encouraging and supporting employees to learn and develop their skills and competencies.