The Embassy of Canada in Washington, D.C. is accepting applications for the position of Specialized Technician, details as follows.
Position title: Specialized Technician
Section: Physical Resources
Location: Embassy of Canada, Washington, D.C.
Position no: EXT-304810
Starting salary: $28.57/hour USD plus benefits
Competition no: 4299
Date posted: January 4, 2021
Closing date: January 18, 2021 06:00:00 PM ET
Employment Tenure: Indeterminate
This staffing process may be used to create an eligibility list of qualified candidates for this position and for similar positions in other programs at the Embassy with various tenures, including indeterminate, term, assignment/ transfer, emergency, and acting opportunities.
Area of Selection:
This competition is open to applicants who are:
- Persons living in the greater Washington Metropolitan area;
- Employees of the Embassy of Canada in Washington, DC;
- Employees of any Canadian Mission in the United States. Relocation will not be paid in any circumstance; or
- Spouses and dependents of Canada-based staff (CBS) at the Embassy of Canada.
All applicants must:
- Have independent work authorization in the United States and status in accordance with United States protocol directives for foreign missions.
- Meet at least one of the Area of Selection criteria.
- Meet all of the Essential Requirements stated below.
- Submit a resume and a cover letter by the closing date and time. The cover letter must:
- Demonstrate how you meet the essential requirements under Language, Education and Experience;
- Confirm residency requirement stated in the Area of Selection;
- Confirm independent work authorization in the United States. (US Citizen, Legal Permanent Resident (LPR), or specific visa categories (e.g. A-1) as required by the Department of State for employment in a foreign mission)
Note: Failure to provide any of the information required above will result in your application being rejected. All communication relating to this process, including email correspondence may be used in the assessment of qualifications. Supporting documentation will be verified during the process.
Summary of duties:
The position is a senior and specialized working level position in the general services property section. The incumbent normally reports to the Technician Maintenance Supervisor. The incumbent has experience in one or more in the following areas: electricity, plumbing, heating or ventilation. The incumbent provides specialized technical advice and repairs and provides progress reports on equipment and inventory control. The work performed requires a frequent and continuing effort in inspecting and repairing the infrastructure and equipment. The work includes bending, standing, walking, lifting, and manipulating heavy objects.
Candidates must demonstrate clearly how they meet the Language, Education and Experience requirements listed below. All communication relating to this process, including email correspondence may be used in the assessment of qualifications.
Education and Experience:
A technical diploma, from an accredited technical school, in at least one of the following trades: plumbing, electrical, or ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) AND 2 years of professional experience;
A high school diploma AND a minimum of 5 years professional experience in at least one of the following trades: plumbing, electrical, or ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC).
Candidates who meet the Language, Education and Experience requirements will be assessed on the following qualifications. The assessment may include: a written test, an interview, an in-basket exercise, and/or a skills test.
- General knowledge of commercial building operations; and
- Knowledge of plumbing, electrical, or ventilation and air-conditioning (HVAC) systems.
- Ability to prioritize work and work under pressure;
- Effective oral and written English communication;
- Ability to research and assimilate technical knowledge (e.g. read and follow the instruction manual);
- Ability to monitor and supervise contractors; and
- Maintain vendor contacts and preventative maintenance schedules; and
- Provide technical advice and make recommendations to management on work and maintenance to be done
- Adaptability and Flexibility;
- Commitment to Public Confidence and values and ethics;
- Focus on Quality and Details;
- Teamwork and Cooperation; and
- Organizational Skills.
The ability to speak and write in French as an asset.
The staffing process will consist of a review of all applications to ensure that applicants meet the essential requirements. Failure to meet any of the essential requirements eliminates candidates from further consideration in the competition. Only those applicants who meet these will be contacted by the Human Resources Section for assessment of the Rated Requirements. The assessment may include an interview, a written test and other tests that will consist of a series of questions designed to evaluate each applicant's knowledge, abilities and personal suitability for the position. Reference checks will be sought for candidates who reach the interview stage and may form part of the selection process. Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidates to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required. Candidates who apply to this vacancy should include an email address that accepts email from unknown users and regularly check their email, including spam folder. Candidates requiring any special assistance in attending exams or interviews are requested to inform us prior.
The Embassy offers a competitive salary plus leave and health benefits package. Leave includes paid vacation, sick, and family/personal leave. Health packages covers medical, dental, disability, and retirement. Other benefits include prime work location in proximity to Metro, standard 40-hour work week, on-site parking, on-site gym with cardio and weight room, and on-site cafeteria. The Embassy promotes work-life balance and offers a dynamic and healthy work environment
The Embassy is committed to conducting inclusive, barrier-free selection processes. Our organization offers an inclusive workplace where respect, teamwork, and collaboration are part of our culture. Canada’s missions abroad are committed to promoting and supporting an environment free from harassment and discrimination, as well as encouraging and supporting employees to learn and develop their skills and competencies.
Condition of employment (must be met):
- Eligibility for a Government of Canada Reliability Status which includes a criminal and credit background check;
- Independent work authorization in the United States and status in accordance with U.S. protocol directives for foreign missions (US Citizen, LPR, or specific visa categories as required by the Department of State for employment in a foreign mission); and
- Before an offer of employment can be made, candidates must provide a local address as proof of residence in the specific city, region or country so that if selected, it will appear on the offer letter.
- Normal hours of work for this position are in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of Employment for Locally Engaged Staff (LES) in the United States of 40 hours per week. The incumbent may be required to work overtime as needed. At times, the employee will be required to work overtime with little notice.
- This position is essential for the Embassy’s operations and the incumbent works on site at the Embassy.
Method of application:
Applications will only be considered when received through our online portal. Apply online at www.wfca-tpce.com/vacancyView.php?requirementId=4299&source=PO