The Embassy of Canada in Washington, D.C. is accepting applications for the position of Purchasing Assistant, details as follows.
Position title: Purchasing Assistant
Section: Public Services and Procurement Canada, PSPC
Location: Embassy of Canada, Washington, D.C.
Position no: EXT-402943, EXT-423637
Starting salary: $53,512 USD plus benefits
Competition no: 4251
Date posted: January 4, 2021
Closing date: January 18, 2021 06:00:00 PM ET
Extension Closing Date: January 25, 2021 06:00:00 PM ET; If you have already submitted your cover letter and resume, you do not need to re-apply.
Employment Tenure: Indeterminate
This staffing process may be used to create an eligibility list of qualified candidates for this position and for similar positions in other programs at the Embassy with various tenures, including indeterminate, term, assignment/ transfer, emergency, and acting opportunities.
Area of Selection:
This competition is open to applicants who are:
- Persons living in the greater Washington Metropolitan area;
- Employees of the Embassy of Canada in Washington, DC;
- Employees of any Canadian Mission in the United States. Relocation will not be paid in any circumstance; or
- Spouses and dependents of Canada-based staff (CBS) at the Embassy of Canada.
All applicants must:
- Have independent work authorization in the United States and status in accordance with United States protocol directives for foreign missions.
- Meet at least one of the Area of Selection criteria.
- Meet all of the Essential Requirements stated below.
- Submit a resume and a cover letter by the closing date and time. The cover letter must:
- Demonstrate how you meet the essential requirements under Language, Education and Experience;
- Confirm residency requirement stated in the Area of Selection;
- Confirm independent work authorization in the United States. (US Citizen, Legal Permanent Resident (LPR), or specific visa categories (e.g. A-1) as required by the Department of State for employment in a foreign mission)
Note: Failure to provide any of the information required above will result in your application being rejected. All communication relating to this process, including email correspondence may be used in the assessment of qualifications. Supporting documentation will be verified during the process.
Summary of duties:
Reporting to the Manager of Foreign Military Sales, the Purchasing Assistant participates in a wide range of administrative and procurement activities including preparing formal contract documentation; controlling and administering active contract files; maintaining computer databases; developing and preparing special reports utilizing computer processing systems, including the manipulation of input data; completing export documents, planning and scheduling support for visitors and special events; coordinating meetings with various internal and external stakeholders including United States Government and Government of Canada, and performing other duties related to the acquisition of defence materiel.
Candidates must demonstrate clearly how they meet the Language, Education and Experience requirements listed below. All communication relating to this process, including email correspondence may be used in the assessment of qualifications.
An associate’s degree or equivalent (two-year post secondary) from an accredited university or college.
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience providing administrative support service in a professional, office environment; OR a minimum of one (1) year of experience in a procurement, asset management, logistics, or purchasing role;
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience providing client service, advice and guidance to clients;
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience using Microsoft Office Suite applications including Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint in a professional environment; and
- A minimum of one (1) year experience in data management, file management, reporting, or data entry.
Candidates who meet the Language, Education and Experience requirements will be assessed on the following qualifications. The assessment may include: a written test, an interview, an in-basket exercise, and/or a skills test.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in computer software, including Microsoft Office Suite programs and databases.
- Communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing;
- Provide client service in person, by telephone and electronically;
- Research to identify specific information and/or resources; analyze, evaluate information effectively and develop reports;
- Set priorities and manage workload; and
- Ensure accuracy and attention to detail.
- Effective interpersonal skills;
- Sound judgement;
- Flexibility and adaptability; and
- Experience in logistics and transportation of defence articles; and
- A four-year bachelor’s degree from an accredited University in related fields such as Supply Management, Finance, Economics, or Public Administration.
The staffing process will consist of a review of all applications to ensure that applicants meet the essential requirements. Failure to meet any of the essential requirements eliminates candidates from further consideration in the competition. Only those applicants who meet these will be contacted by the Human Resources Section for assessment of the Rated Requirements. The assessment may include an interview, a written test and other tests that will consist of a series of questions designed to evaluate each applicant's knowledge, abilities and personal suitability for the position. Reference checks will be sought for candidates who reach the interview stage and may form part of the selection process. Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidates to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required. Candidates who apply to this vacancy should include an email address that accepts email from unknown users and regularly check their email, including spam folder. Candidates requiring any special assistance in attending exams or interviews are requested to inform us prior.
The Embassy offers a competitive salary plus leave and health benefits package. Leave includes paid vacation, sick, and family/personal leave. Health packages covers medical, dental, disability, and retirement. Other benefits include prime work location in proximity to Metro, standard 37.5-hour work week, on-site parking, on-site gym with cardio and weight room, and on-site cafeteria. The Embassy promotes work-life balance and offers a dynamic and healthy work environment
The Embassy is committed to conducting inclusive, barrier-free selection processes. Our organization offers an inclusive workplace where respect, teamwork, and collaboration are part of our culture. Canada’s missions abroad are committed to promoting and supporting an environment free from harassment and discrimination, as well as encouraging and supporting employees to learn and develop their skills and competencies.
Condition of employment (must be met):
- Eligibility for a Government of Canada Reliability Status which includes a criminal and credit background check;
- Independent work authorization in the United States and status in accordance with U.S. protocol directives for foreign missions (US Citizen, LPR, or specific visa categories as required by the Department of State for employment in a foreign mission); and
- Before an offer of employment can be made, candidates must provide a local address as proof of residence in the specific city, region or country so that if selected, it will appear on the offer letter.
Hours of work:
Normal hours of work for this position are in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of Employment for Locally Engaged Staff (LES) in the United States of 37.5 hours per week. The incumbent may be required to work overtime as needed.
Due to the situation with COVID 19, many employees with the Embassy are currently teleworking. As the Embassy moves through its reopening phases, and based on the requirements of the position, the incumbent may be required to work on site at the Embassy. Once the Embassy returns to normal operations, the incumbent will be expected to work from the Embassy, as required.
Method of application:
Applications will only be considered when received through our online portal. Apply online at http://www.wfca-tpce.com/vacancyView.php?requirementId=4251&source=PO .