Director of Health Care Policy Private Health Plans
ASHA’s Director of Health Care Policy, Private Health Plans serves as ASHA’s primary analyst and advocate regarding private health plan coverage and reimbursement across the country. The Director’s focus is to support coverage and reimbursement of audiology and speech-language pathology services on behalf of ASHA members and the private insurance beneficiaries they serve.
The Director serves on ASHA’s collaborative 8 person Health Care & Education Policy Team and interacts closely with State Affairs and Federal Affairs Teams within ASHA’s Government Affairs & Public Policy group. They represent ASHA externally with like-minded national organizations, coalitions and groups such as NAIC, AHIP and others.
ASHA offers competitive salaries and fantastic benefits while ensuring a work life balance for employees while maintaining our commitment to results for members and the consumer they serve.
This position is responsible for managing all special activities and projects related to private health plan coverage of and reimbursement for audiology and speech-language pathology services.
- Collaborates on identifying, developing, executing, and evaluating coordinated advocacy strategies designed to advance ASHA’s Public Policy Agenda.
- Conducts high-quality analyses and develops relevant health care policy recommendations with implications for the professions of audiology and speech-language pathology.
- Prepares analyses, issue briefs, letters, testimony, regulatory comments, and other resources as needed that are designed to advance the relevant health care priorities within ASHA’s Public Policy Agenda.
- Represents ASHA, ASHA members and consumers before private health plan policymakers in internal and external appeals and policy change requests.
- Engages federal and state officials as a “Subject Matter Expert” as needed.
- Identifies, develops, maintains, and leverages strategic relationships with relevant staff of external organizations, including coalitions, in accordance with relevant ASHA policies.
- Collaborates on strategic communications, messaging, and grassroots materials that are designed to advance ASHA’s Public Policy Agenda. Develops articles and other products for online and print communications.
- Provides technical assistance to ASHA’s membership, consumers, and other interested parties as needed.
Knowledge typically acquired through:
- Advanced degree in public policy, economics, political science, or a related field.
- 6 years of experience in billing or reimbursement policy in a health plan, association, corporation or government; experience with audiology and speech-language pathology services is preferred.
Scope and depth of technical skills/knowledge:
- Demonstrated ability in strategic policy analysis and development activities.
- Demonstrated ability to produce high-quality and impactful analyses, issue briefs, letters, testimony, regulatory comments, model legislative language, and related products.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain strategic relationships with health care policymakers and allied stakeholders.
- Demonstrated understanding of private health plan coverage determination and appeals processes.
- Working knowledge of health care policies that impact ASHA, especially private health plan coverage and reimbursement issues.
- Working knowledge of communications sciences and disorders is desirable
Scope and depth of non-technical skills/knowledge:
- Strong collaborative and facilitative leadership skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, organize, and execute multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and a creative approach to work.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure with tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve consensus when opposing viewpoints are presented.