Director of Membership
Reporting to the Associate Executive Director, Strategic Initiatives, the Director of Membership serves as the lead for the University of Maryland Alumni Association’s membership team. The Director is responsible for effective development and implementation of marketing strategies from concept through delivery, which are intended to recruit and retain Association members while also increasing revenue.
The membership program includes stewardship, customer service, Advance database management, and a diverse set of marketing and communications strategies geared toward the UMD base of 388,000 alumni. It is also coordinated closely with the university’s annual fund and marketing and communications efforts. The Director will be responsible for detailed, analytical research on annual and life members, new members, lapsed members, and consecutive annual members. They will also review direct-mail, email and telephone campaign results, and how Association membership correlates with philanthropic engagement. The Director will provide innovative direction while building, influencing and leading the membership marketing and communication efforts. They are responsible for maintaining and updating the advertising, marketing and communications channels across all media designed to inform, engage, and connect alumni.
The Director will oversee day-to-day operations and strategize new and creative ideas to help the department achieve their participation and financial goals. The Director will also create a comprehensive marketing campaign and analyze results to create future targeted marketing campaigns. Further, this individual will assist the Associate Executive Director with detailed metrics-based growth reports, and demonstrate annual results for the AVP of Alumni Relations, the Vice President of University Relations, and the Alumni Association Board of Governors.
This position will require occasional evening and weekend work, as needed.
Education (including licenses, certifications, etc.):
Bachelor’s degree required.
A minimum of 5 years of professional experience in a higher education or membership organization, and proven success with sustained growth in ongoing revenue programs required. Candidates must also have at least 1 year of supervisory experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Strong knowledge of direct marketing strategy and segmentation, creative development, production, and program metrics.
• Ability to quickly and regularly adjust strategy based on performance trends.
• Must be project oriented, able to handle several tasks simultaneously, possess an ability to prioritize multiple tasks under pressure while managing deadlines.
• Committed to taking a team approach within departmental, divisional and organizational settings.
• Superb interpersonal and customer service skills, and the ability to have great working relationships (internally and externally) that result in high customer and staff satisfaction and appreciation for the institution and the Alumni Association.
• Ability to identify, review and select vendors as needed.