Office Manager, Office of the Defense Attaché
The Embassy of Switzerland in Washington, DC is seeking a qualified candidate for a 100% permanent position as Office Manager in the Office of the Defense Attaché beginning February 2021
The objective of the position is to support the Defense Attaché (DATT) and the Assistant Defense Attaché (ADATT) in performing their duties relating to the cooperation between the Federal Department of Defence, Civil Protection and Sport (DDPS) and the U.S. This support will also be performed with all matters related to the cooperation with the DDPS and the Canadian Defence authorities, the DATT/ADATT being also accredited to Canada.
The Office Manager will run a small three-team office, manage the infrastructure and supplies and will handle all administrative duties for the DATT and the ADATT, including but not limited to verbal and written communications for internal and external purposes, event management, preparing and following up on meetings and occasional work with other sections of the Embassy. He/she will translate in English and either German or French. The Office Manager will also be involved in supporting Swiss delegations visiting the U.S. and Canada.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assistance in all aspects of administration, such as preparation and updating of internal files and documents, drafting of general correspondence
- Translate and write reports, minutes, messages and requests
- Responsible for the input, processing and forwarding of Foreign Visit Requests (RFV) in the USA and Canada
- Support of long-term Swiss military students in the USA/CAN as well as visits by Swiss military personnel, who attend courses in the USA/CAN
- Provide support in planning and organizing business trips, as well as supporting visiting delegations
- Organize events within the framework of the public relations work of the DATT/ADATT, coordinates invitations
- Provide information flow with the Head Office in Bern and the Defense Attaché Office/Embassy
- Establish telephone contact with internal and external offices
- Ensures payment transactions with the Embassy
- Establish and maintain regular contacts with U.S., Canadian, Swiss Authorities and Partners
- Respond orally and in written form as required by the DATT/ADATT
- Organize courier shipment and control of courier entrance
- Coordinate and supervise the subscriptions of the different journals
Requirements: (Please do not apply if you do not meet ALL of the following criteria)
- US / and or Schengen citizenship only, due to security restrictions
- College and/or university degree or higher in a field of study relevant and supportive to the mission
- At least three years of experience in an office environment in the U.S.
- Fluency in German and/or French, with at least passive knowledge of the other
- Excellent communication skills (written and spoken) in English
- Full computer literacy with Microsoft Office and Windows, if possible, as well as database experience
- Interpersonal skills to solve problems, with a teamwork mentality geared to achieving objectives and solving problems independently
- Highly motivated, proactive and eager and capable of learning
- Discreet and highly trustworthy
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and multi-task in a fast-moving environment
- Familiarity with Switzerland will be considered as an important asset
- Inviting work atmosphere
- Interesting work in a foreign representation
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- 401 k plan
- 4 weeks vacation
- American and some Swiss holidays
- Parking available
Please send your resume, a letter of interest relevant to the job as described above and salary expectations no later than January 10, 2021 in electronic format (PDF file) to: email@example.com Please write into the subject line, “Office Manager” to ensure timely processing of your application.
No phone calls please; only those who are chosen for an interview will be contacted.