ETL Developer, IT Senior Engineer
ETL Developer, IT Senior Engineer
Position #: 126012
The ETL Developer will report directly to the Business Intelligence Manager in the Decision Support Services (DSS) unit within the Division of Information Technology (DIT).
This is an opportunity to join a newly formed unit (DSS) and contribute to a strategic initiative to improve data-driven decision-making on campus. The ETL Developer will be responsible for the design, implementation and maintenance of a new ETL process to support the creation of a new Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) and data platform. This includes using cloud-based technologies, establishing best practices and procedures for ETL development, implementing ETL processes, and documentation. The ETL Developer will collaborate with the DSS team on a day-to-day basis and receive technical guidance from the Data Warehouse Architect and Business Intelligence Manager.
The emphasis of this position is the technical hands-on activities for the creation and evolution of a new ETL process. Of utmost importance is the ability to select and implement the appropriate ETL or ELT techniques and storing all data as structured files for subsequent usage in a data warehouse or Big Data analysis; prior successful ETL implementations and experience are essential, as is SQL experience. Clear communication, demonstrated organizational skills, and the ability to collaborate with non-technical stakeholders, create clear and concise technical documentation, and make critical decisions are requirements to be successful in this position
● Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in computer science, information systems, or related discipline.
● 4-6 years of experience in designing, implementing and maintaining ETL processes, including experience with SQL.
● Experiencing creating ETL processes in an industry standard ETL tool such as Informatica, SSIS, etc. for enterprise wide projects.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
● Knowledge of data privacy practices and laws.
● Skill in creating technical support documentation.
● Ability to conduct research into database issues, standards and products.
● Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
● Ability to communicate effectively orally, and in writing.
● Ability to persuade and lead others to think critically in discussions.
● Ability to lead design sessions with technical and non-technical users.
● Experience with various ETL platforms, ideally including Informatica.
● Experience with Python or Java Experience with JSON.
● Experience with OLTP and OLAP data models.
● Must be self-motivated, energetic, detail oriented and a team player. Experience with Amazon Redshift or other MPP database platforms.
● Experience using AWS for data applications (e.g. EC2, S3, Redshift, RDS, Data Pipeline) Experience with Oracle.
● Experience with data related Monitoring tools. Experience with Business Intelligence Tools.
Additional information: this position does not provide sponsorship for visas.
Physical demands: sedentary work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Repetitive motion. Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading. Must have the ability to walk short distances to attend meetings on campus.
Best consideration date: 01/03/2021 or open until filled.
Please apply at https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/80372 [ejobs.umd.edu]