FT Salary Exempt Full-Time
Location: Ashburn, VA, US or Washington, DC
Salary Range: 60000.00 – 68000.00 (USD) Annually
The National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA) is the leading not-for-profit organization dedicated to building strong, vibrant, and resilient communities through the power of parks and recreation. With more than 60,000 members, NRPA advances this mission by investing in and championing the work of park and recreation professionals and advocates — the catalysts for positive change in service of equity, climate-readiness, and overall health and well-being. For more information, visit www.nrpa.org. For digital access to NRPA’s flagship publication, Parks & Recreation, visit www.parksandrecreation.org.
NRPA is currently seeking a Program Manager to join our Health and Wellness team in the Programs & Partnerships department.
The Program Manager will provide detailed program support and management of key projects that further NRPA’s goals of advancing community health and well-being by transforming parks and recreation into community wellness hubs that connect every member of the community to essential programs, services and spaces that advance health equity, improve health outcomes and enhance quality of life.
At NRPA you will be an instrumental part of advancing the organization’s strategic priorities focused on building healthy communities, ensuring equitable access, and climate resilience. You will report to the Senior Program Manager and work with a group of passionate, creative, and fun leaders dedicated to creating more equitable, healthy, and resilient communities through parks and recreation.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Project coordination, including the management of grant-funded projects within the Programs & Partnerships portfolio centered on mentoring, trauma-informed care, social-emotional learning, youth development and public health. Responsibilities to include providing training and technical assistance, data collection, grant reporting, resource development, communications, and partnership building.
- Customer service, including the provision of superior technical assistance to grantees and regular communications with members.
- Communications support, including content creation for articles, blog posts, presentations, website updates, management of networks and peer learning groups, etc.
- Budget management, to include assisting in the management of project budgets, tracking and projecting expenses and revenue, processing payments, and providing input on budget creation.
- Representation of NRPA at conferences, meetings and site visits with local park and recreation agencies.
- Collaboration with all NRPA departments to maximize the value of each project within the Programs & Partnerships portfolio and contribute to the strategic goals of the organization as a whole.
- Undertake special projects and assignments as directed.
- Monitor trends across the park and recreation field and emerging health threats related to NRPA’s health and wellness priorities.
Required Materials and Application Process: Applicants without the following required materials may not be considered for this position:
- Cover Letter detailing your background and description how your experience and education would make you a successful candidate for this position (limit 2 pages).
Applicants will first be evaluated on the completeness and qualifications of application materials. Qualified applicants will then be invited for a phone screen and selected applicants will be invited to participate in virtual interviews. Finalists will be required to submit references for a reference and background check.
Who May Apply: This position is open to all qualified applicants. *Note: due to the impacts of COVID-19, this position is predominantly a remote/work from home position presently.
NRPA values diversity, equity and inclusion and we are committed to integrating these core values more deeply into all elements of our daily work. NRPA is an equal opportunity employer and highly encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, ethnic minorities, new Americans (immigrants and refugees), LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities, native people, and veterans.
Discover the Benefits at NRPA!
To promote healthy lifestyles, at work and away, we have established programs like Teleworking, FlexTime Schedules, 37.5-hour work-week, Employee Assistance Programs, Educational Assistance Programs, Lunch-and-Learn sessions, and more. NRPA also offers a competitive Heath benefits package, generous PTO program where employees accrue 26 days of paid time per year, parental leave, and retirement and savings benefits.
Although we are currently working remotely due to public health safety, NRPA headquarters is situated on park land in Ashburn, Virginia. This campus boasts a warm professional environment, with a relaxing and peaceful view of nature at its finest!
The space offers indoor & outdoor eating areas, as well as indoor & outdoor fitness opportunities, including an air-conditioned fitness room with access to showers, as well as foot trails for the outdoor enthusiast.
NRPA also maintains office space in Washington, D.C. for its D.C.-based staff that is centrally located and convenient to the blue, orange, silver and red subway lines.
- Bachelor's degree or continued education equivalent or industry certification or equivalent
- Five or more years of experience in a related field (parks and recreation, public health, social-emotional learning, youth development, trauma-informed care, mentoring)
- Passion for parks and recreation, health equity, youth health and well-being, emerging public health threats, and/or social justice
- Excellent communication (oral, written) to effectively and politely communicate with individuals at all levels, including members, partners, and donors
- Excellent organizational, time and project management skills
- Interest and willingness to facilitate meetings, trainings, and professional development opportunities, and present on behalf of NRPA at conferences, meetings
- Knowledge of and experience with community health and youth development programming to include evidence-based mentoring practices, substance use prevention, social-emotional learning, workforce development strategies
Candidate Work Style
- Excels in dynamic, fast-paced work environment
- Self-directed and detail-oriented with a collaborative and professional team spirit to contribute to a collegial, team-oriented environment
- Willing to travel up to 25 days per year