Manager II (Chief Division of Zoning, Well & Septic, and Code Compliance) Grade M2
Department of Permitting Services
$92,185 - $167,345
The Department of Permitting Services is seeking a Division Chief for the Zoning, Well & Septic and Code Compliance Division (Manager II). This is a full executive-level management position within the Department of Permitting Services. This position will direct the operations of Zoning, Well & Septic and Code Compliance Division of the Department of Permitting Services. Contacts are with legislative and executive branches of County government, officials with the Maryland National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) and in other governmental jurisdictions, developers, and private sector and community groups. Must be able to explain and reconcile controversial policy positions where conflicting and opposing viewpoints exist and to develop suitable alternatives or acceptable solutions in the development process.
This position develops, implements, and evaluates overall policies concerning the County's regulation of construction and land development in the issuance of permits and ensuring compliance with zoning, well and septic, site plans and related regulatory approvals, regulations and laws to ensure that construction and development activities are carried out in accordance with applicable zoning and development approvals, regulations and laws.
This position will administer the work of zoning and site plan section managers, and approximately 35 staff consisting of supervisors, senior permitting services specialists, investigators, permitting and code enforcement inspectors and permit technicians and administrative assistants.
This position will also administer the work of contractors. The work of the Division is to include review of proposed development plans, applications for M-NCPPC approval of development plans, tracking and enforcement of site plan and related M-NCPPC approvals, review and enforcement of permit applications for zoning, development standards and site plan compliance to ensure responsive, customer-friendly service and compliance with applicable Federal, State, and County regulations and codes. This position is also responsible for interdepartmental coordination and achieving the Division’s mission and the timely completion of work assignments, determines the work to be performed, the methods utilized, and the standards of performance.
Examples of Duties:
• Develops and initiates code enforcement plan review, inspection, permitting, and guidelines to promote the safety and well-being of County residents and development community.
• Directs inspection activities to ensure compliance with State and County regulations and codes concerning regulation of construction and land development in the issuance of permits and ensuring compliance with zoning, site plans and related regulatory approvals, regulations and laws to ensure that construction and development activities are carried out in accordance with applicable zoning and development approvals, regulations and laws.
• Contributes to the preparation and administration of the Department's annual budget.
• Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with local, regional, State and Federal agencies engaged in the regulation of construction and development, and with news media and the general public.
• Coordinates with internal and external agencies to facilitate effective and efficient service delivery to the Department’s customers and stakeholders.
• Provides educational outreach to governmental organizations and business, community and civic groups concerning the objectives and activities of Departmental programs.
• Performs other related duties as required.
As a manager/supervisor of unionized employees, this position has a responsibility for fostering a positive labor relations environment based on mutual trust, respect, and cooperation.
Experience : Seven years of progressively responsible experience in managing/directing land development program operations, three years of which were in a supervisory or executive capacity. Note: the term "executive" is further defined as a high echelon or high level position in an organization that is assigned technical research, management advisory services responsibilities, or policy-making duties and responsibilities that exerts considerable influence on organizational policy, plans, and operations through technical research management advisory services, and/or policy-making duties and responsibilities (e.g., County positions at Grade 30 or above).
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree.
Equivalency: An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
All resumes submissions must address the preferred criteria for the position which are located in the full advertisement accessed through the County’s website.
This recruitment will remain open until position is filled
To view the complete job announcement and to apply, please visit our website at https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/HR/Recruitment/MCGCareers.html and then click on “Apply Now."
Click “Search Jobs” and see the full job description under the “General Professional” category IRC46575
Interested candidates must create an account in order to submit a resume.