IT Engineer, Windows Systems Engineer
IT Engineer, Windows Systems Engineer
Position #: 111371
The University of Maryland Division of Information Technology (DIT) is seeking a Windows Systems Engineer to support the design, deployment, configuration, and maintenance of our server environment. This role requires hands-on technical design and implementation in support of academic and administrative higher education systems. The Windows Systems Engineer will be responsible for optimizing IT services using products within the Microsoft System Center suite. The incumbent will also monitor system performance, investigate problems, interact with vendors, and serve as technical expert and ambassador of Microsoft technology for the campus.
- Create, maintain and decommission servers running Windows Server 2016 and 2019 in on-premises and cloud environments.
- Hands-on deployment of new applications and services within a virtualized computing environment as well as providing tier II/III incident support.
- Develop increasing expertise in key technologies, focusing on virtualization within cloud environments.
- Interact directly with University staff to gather technical and business requirements, develop and implement solutions.
- Manage technologies in an enterprise environment with a drive for understanding customer needs and operational excellence.
- Communicate with vendors for upgrades and troubleshooting issues with software
- Training and demonstration of product features and operation to non-technical customers.
- Document all platform service processes and procedures and maintain the artifacts in a document repository.
- Participate in disaster recovery (DR) planning and execution in support of customer requirements.
- Automate repetitive tasks where possible to improve service delivery and reduce operational overhead.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline, or equivalent combination of education, technical certifications or training, or work experience.
- Minimum of 4 years of Microsoft systems administration, configuration and troubleshooting.
- In-depth understanding of Windows operating systems and general awareness of public cloud services.
- Proven technology expertise in more than one relevant core area such as, Active Directory, Azure AD, Windows configuration Management or IIS
- Experience with patching, updating and vulnerability remediation for Windows OS and third party applications.
- Flexible and able to quickly switch between projects.
- Working knowledge of security best practices.
- Experience deploying, integrating, configuring, and securing Microsoft Windows servers in Active Directory and standalone environments as well as hybrid environments (on-prem and cloud based).
- Experience and in-depth knowledge of Windows Server and Workstation, MECM, image management, and Group Policy.
- Experience automating processes using programming\scripting languages Windows PowerShell, .NET and Batch.
- Experience performing systems planning and development to include new features in the Windows server operating system as well as the ability to deploy new applications and services.
- Experience with virtualization in a large enterprise environment.
- Working knowledge of COTS applications.
- Understanding of a higher education environment.
- Strong customer service orientation and presentation skills.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Experience managing a Citrix environment.
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012, 2016 and newer.
- MS Certifications – MCSA Windows Server 2012/2016 or MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
- Microsoft SQL, 2012/2014 experience
- Experience with macOS, JAMF, VDI, scripting, BitLocker, Microsoft Azure, InTune, Office 365, OMS, and Amazon Web Services
- Experience creating and maintaining infrastructure on top of cloud services (AWS, Azure)
- VMware experience
- Citrix XenApp/XenDesktop experience
Additional information: this position does not provide sponsorship for Visas.
Physical demands: sitting for extended periods of time. Dexterity of hands and fingers required to operate a computer keyboard or mouse, and to handle other computer components. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Must have the ability to walk short distances to attend meetings on campus.
Best consideration date: 12/10/2020 or open until filled