Director, Grants Administration
Position Announcement #121002 – Director, Grants Administration
The Corporation for Public Broadcasting is a private, nonprofit corporation created to ensure universal access to non-commercial high-quality programming and telecommunications services. We invest in programs and services that are educational, innovative, locally relevant, and reflect America’s common values and cultural diversity. We encourage the development of programming that involves creative risks and that addresses the needs of unserved and underserved audiences, particularly children and minorities.
CPB is currently seeking to hire a Director, Grants Administration (level 8). Salary $70,500 - $110,100. This position reports directly to the VP, CSG and Station Initiatives.
Administers the full cycle of grant management activities at the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) for programs that annual provide more than $300 million in support to public media stations, ensuring the highest level of integrity in the application of policy, certification of grantees, and timely calculation of accurate awards. Plays a key role in the development and implementation of CPB’s customized online system for grantee data and grants calculations.
• Administers CPB grants programs (Community Services Grants, TV Interconnection Grants, television and radio supplemental grants, and other station grants as assigned).
• Translates eligibility criteria and calculation formulas, set by policy, into procedural steps, including grant computations within CPB’s system.
• Identifies and consults with policy staff to resolve policy ambiguities.
• Assures that grant requirements are met by prospective recipients before recommending grant awards for signature by the appropriate CPB staff.
• Identifies practical and quality-control procedures for accurate and efficient grant making.
• Maintains a thorough knowledge of how CPB’s grants calculation system works, including CPB’s customized online tool and its excel spreadsheet equivalent that collects grantee data and calculates grants.
• Develops an annual timeline of grants calculation activities and works effectively with an interdepartmental/cross-functional team to ensure tasks are timely completed.
• Supervises the accurate and timely preparation of data reports for annual grant calculations.
• Works with IT project managers and programmers, and other technical staff to identify and make grant calculation updates as needed.
• Defines grant calculation requirements for IT and tests them to ensure they meet requirements. Provides feedback and requirement updates and re-tests as necessary.
• Maintains grant calculation manuals and documented protocols, and provides user training and support.
Grants Database Management:
• Supervises all changes to CPB’s station grant database resulting from audit findings, penalties, and changes in grantee qualification status.
• Coordinates testing to ensure that changes made to the system operate reliably.
• Writes reports, documentation and operating manuals and provides user training and support.
• Bachelor’s degree in finance, administration, or business, or equivalent work experience.
• Seven years’ experience in the management and administration of grants.
• Possesses strong negotiation skills and the ability to collaborate as well as manage competing interests sensitively and effectively.
• Displays a meticulous attention to detail.
• Possesses excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to translate technical information into understandable terms for non-technical audiences.
• Possesses strong management skills in addition to strong project management and organizational skills, with the ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
• Experience with database management and using spreadsheet software including Excel.
• Experience with IT project management, including defining requirements and using an iterative testing process.
• Project management professional certification.
For more information about CPB, our programs, and our mission, please visit our website at www.cpb.org. Please submit your cover letter, resume, and salary history to
Link does not work in Internet Explorer.
The Corporation for Public Broadcasting has a commitment to the principle of diversity. In that spirit, we welcome applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, religion, creed, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, national origin, or status with regard to public assistance.