Executive Director, Financial Operations for School of Medicine
The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB), University of Maryland School of Medicine is currently recruiting for an Executive Director, Financial Operations. The Executive Director, Financial Operations of the University of Maryland School of Medicine reports to the Assistant Dean of Finance, this position provides general day-to-day leadership for financial operations for the School of Medicine (SOM) including establishing, monitoring, and reporting of all school budgets, including campus reporting requirements. The position is responsible for budget, financial analysis, financial transactions processes, and cash management to be performed in compliance with regulations and policies. Benefits Information: UMB offers a generous benefits package, which includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
- Direct the day-to-day management activities of the SOM Dean’s Office working and operating unit budgets, academic commitments, financial analysis/projections/reporting, and management of finance/accounting personnel responsible for payroll, purchasing cards, and account reconciliations. This includes interfacing with the Faculty Physician’s Inc (FPI) financial leadership to monitor external funding and spending.
- Broadly, this person is responsible for the timely submission and accuracy of campus required budget/financial reporting requirements for the School of Medicine.
- Currently a shadow account software is used to monitor the use of external sources of funding from FPI and affiliated Foundations. This person will need to learn and utilize this system on a regular basis.
- Serve as a senior advisor to the Assistant Dean of Finance for strategic financial initiatives including the funding of the education, research and clinical missions across the SOM.
- As needed, establish and maintain policies and procedures with regard to internal accounting controls and school budgets, accounting, and disbursements practices as required by campus.
- Annual budget and reporting for the Dean’s Office unit expenditures and funding of these units.
- Maintain financial management systems and internal controls required to ensure that the school’s commitment, operating, and cash management accounts are safeguarded and that accounts are appropriately maintained in order to ensure accurate financial data.
- Responsible for annual budget process as required in the Quantum financial system including proper training and monitoring of budgets, in conjunction with campus financial personnel.
- Acts as primary liaison between school financial department and key customers and campus partners such as UMB Financial Services, UMB Budget Office, UMBF, UMMC, and UMFPI on operational issues and GAAP reporting matters
- Works with the schools' leadership on the strategic vision including fostering and cultivating stakeholder relationships on campus, and state levels, as well as assisting in the development and negotiation of contracts.
- Creates a cohesive work team that works collaboratively to achieve unit's goals. Oversees the recruitment, performance, and training of team members and continually reviews strengths and weaknesses of staff to maintain a well-trained, highly involved, and motivated team.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, business administration, or business-related field required.
Experience: Ten (10) years of accounting, budgeting, auditing, assessment of internal controls, and financial analysis and reporting.
Supervisory: Five (5) years of direct management involved in the recruitment, training, and professional development of staff with direct responsibility for the performance evaluation and assessment of staff.
Preferred: Master's degree in Business related fields and/or a CPA license; Experience with an SAS cloud based financial system and database financial reporting.
Other: Financial disclosure reporting required by State of Maryland Ethics Commission.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy.