QUALIFICATIONS: PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• At least five years experience in survey design, statistics, data analysis, community assessments, and program evaluation.
• Bilingual skills preferred.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Masters Degree in evaluation, education, public policy analysis, social science, social work, public health or other related field, including or supplemented by course work in research and assessment, plus experience in education, teaching or related service activities that involve data analysis; or any equivalent combination of education and experience that would provide the above noted knowledge, skill, and ability.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Human Resources announces an opening for a Data Specialist position located in the Planning & Evaluation Department. This position is a full-time twelve-month position, Grades E6.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF WORK
The Data Specialist is hired by Arlington Public Schools (APS) and works directly with both APS and the Arlington County Government’s (ACG) Arlington Partnership for Children, Youth and Families (APCYF) to collect, analyze and report data on the status of children, youth and families, including their educational, health, behaviors, attitudes, and needs. The Data Specialist is a key member of the APS Department of Planning and Evaluation as well as a key member of the APCYF. The Data Specialist works closely with the APCYF Coordinator. The Data Specialist works under general supervision of the APS Assistant Director in the APS Department of Planning and Evaluation.
RESPONSIBILITIES: ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK (May not include all duties performed – These are intended as an illustration of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
• Collaborates with multiple groups and constituents within Arlington County Schools (APS) and the Arlington County Government (ACG).
• Communicates effectively with a variety of stakeholders about initiatives and data in a manner that meets the needs of the targeted group or individual. This includes students, parents/guardians, staff, and community members.
• Collaborates with the Assistant Director to plan and implement frequently occurring surveys on behalf of APS and/or APCYF. Coordinates communication with stakeholders regarding surveys, manages requests from parents/guardians to exempt their children from surveys, and works with site-based survey coordinators and classroom teachers around all aspects of survey delivery.
• Works with APS and APCYF on survey design, implementation, analysis, and reporting for other survey efforts.
• Works with the Virginia State agencies, as needed, to provide feedback state-mandated surveys.
• Participates in APS program evaluations, including planning, data collection, and reporting.
• Works extensively with data including gathering requirements, running queries from a variety of systems and databases, reviewing data for quality control, analyzing data using SPSS and/or Excel, representing data visually, and producing reports that effectively communicate with a variety of stakeholder groups.
• Prepares data and research findings related to APS and APCYF initiatives for presentation to the Arlington County Board and Arlington School Board.
• Analyzes a variety of local, state and national data related to K-12 education and services for children, youth and families in order to help planning and reporting efforts. This includes drafting presentations and producing reports, such as the APCYF's Community Report.
• Researches initiatives and promising approaches related to K-12 education and other programs for children, youth and families used in surrounding local governments.
• Provides programmatic support and conducts evaluations for selected APCYF initiatives and programs.
• Attends and contributes to APS and APCYF workgroups, subgroups and other meetings during the day and in the evenings.
• Plans and conducts focus groups for APS and the APCYF.
• Works with consultants, as needed, to plan, implement, and evaluate surveys.
• Participates in the APS Research Review Committee.
- Performs related duties as required or assigned
EXPERIENCE: REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
• Experience working with individuals and groups from various cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
• Ability to establish and maintain successful working relationships with staff, students, parents/guardians, and community members.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing, including making complex analysis comprehensible to all audiences.
• Ability to assess/evaluate effectiveness of programs and services.
• Knowledge or understanding of program evaluation.
• Extensive knowledge and application of research techniques, procedures and trends, including observations and focus groups.
• Knowledge of various structures for training and meeting facilitation.
• Ability to facilitate focus groups.
• Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, and manage complex data collection.
• Ability to run queries in databases.
• Demonstrated proficiency in using Excel.
• Proficiency with or ability to learn use of statistical software such as SPSS and/or Access.
• Demonstrated abilities in survey and questionnaire design.
• Knowledge of survey sampling techniques.
• Ability to review local, state and national data on K-12 education and services and programs for children, youth and families.
• Demonstrated abilities to research and write comprehensive reports involving data interpretation and presentation to various audiences based on their needs.
Candidates must submit an application online and attach a resume, a written statement of interest in and qualifications for this position. Please complete the online Administrative/Technical application on the APS website in the Employment section: www.apsva.us. A minimum of three letters of recommendation must also be submitted online as part of your application packet.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE BY FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 13, 2020 AND WILL ONLY BE CONSIDERED IF ALL REQUIRED INFORMATION IS INCLUDED.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: It is the policy of the Arlington School Board, as stated in the School Board Policy 35-4.4, that employment opportunities shall not be restricted, abridged or otherwise adversely affected on the basis of race, national origin, creed, color, religion, gender, age, economic status, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, pregnancy status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, and/or disability.
APPLY TO: Please follow the instructions listed above.
SALARY: Salary range of $59,436 to $84,596 (2019-2020 salary schedule)