Program Manager, Internationalization and Global Engagement
Position Summary: In partnership with the Senior Director, Academic Affairs and Internationalization, this role provides support for the planning and delivery of products and services in the Knowledge Development department. Responsibilities include managing communications, event planning and logistics, program management, and administrative support. This position is a key member of a team dedicated to promoting thought leadership in international education and engages in cross-departmental collaboration with staff throughout the organization to achieve strategic goals. This position also works to expand the base of international members through innovative global engagement strategies and provides support and management for the NAFSA Senior Fellows program.
Major Functions and Responsibilities:
Serve as staff liaison for the annual Senator Paul Simon Award for Campus Internationalization, NAFSA’s premier award recognizing excellence in higher education internationalization. (30%)
- In collaboration with department leadership, manage all aspects of meeting and logistics for the annual awards program. Serve as the primary point of contact throughout the awards, nomination, and selection processes.
- Serve as staff liaison to the award selection committee. Manage the selection process by soliciting calls for nominations, tracking receipt of applications, and reviewing all submissions for completion before assigning to the committee.
- Organize and manage the awards panel and event during International Education Week through in person or virtual formats; co-chair the Simon Award session during annual conference. Manage engagement with all Simon Award winners, including academic leadership.
- Prepare draft announcements and communications on awards program, including press releases and website updates. Collaborate with media relations, marketing, and web teams to ensure consistency of messaging and adherence to established production deadlines.
Provide support services to international program design and management: (25%)
- Under the guidance of the Senior Director, collaborate with subject matter experts to manage global content development for NAFSA Annual Conference and other events. Develop and support the Latin America and Caribbean Forum events.
- Provide administrative support to the NAFSA Senior Fellows program, including draft communications, scheduling and managing conference sessions, and other administrative support. Update and maintain databases and web content.
- Provide administrative support and engagement to the Global Fellows Dialogue Program.
Collaborate with Knowledge Development and membership teams to support global engagement strategies (20%)
- Collaborate with membership team to develop and support the growth of international members; assist in developing and implementing international engagement and outreach strategies
- Identify and solicit session proposals that will attract international members, provide value, and increase participation of global audiences and member leaders to NAFSA Annual conference and other events.
- Develop and maintain strong customer relations with NAFSA international members and other global stakeholders. Promote member engagement and attract new members through highlighting value of international memberships
- Monitor global trends in international education to support the work of NAFSA.
Work closely with publication team to support the production of various department publications. (15%)
- Collaborate with publications staff on the development, production and distribution of the annual Internationalizing the Campus (ITC) report recognizing Simon Award winning institutions.
- Identify subject matter experts with global expertise appropriate for NAFSA publications (e.g., Trends & Insights, International Educator, etc.).
- Provide resource and coordination support for publications developed by the Senior Fellows.
Perform other duties as assigned to support programs and activities (10%)
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum two years of work experience
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written, with strong editorial capabilities (writing, editing, proofreading)
- Demonstrated ability to plan, take initiative, set priorities, and exercise sound judgment in a complex, fast-moving environment
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- A track record of excellent customer relations support using a variety of communication mediums and platforms
- Experience with database software, as well as various web or cloud-based platforms.
- Ability to master various technology, web, and data management systems
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite products
- Experience working with non-profit membership organizations, including volunteer and membership engagement activities
- Experience working in higher education, international education, or nonprofit organizations
- Direct experience with virtual and in-person meeting and event planning
- Ability to speak a language other than English desirable.
As representatives of a membership organization with a broad and diverse range of activities related to education and training, NAFSA staff possess more than simply specialized capabilities. Each individual is expected to take the initiative to become knowledgeable about the organization as a whole. Association members and other staff expect colleagues to be accessible and responsive, to convey a positive attitude, and to exhibit a high degree of professionalism.
The workday is generally 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The week after Memorial Day to Labor Day, it is 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Friday.
Travel is required occasionally related to job responsibilities, especially for the annual conference, regional meetings, and other leadership meetings. Participation in the NAFSA annual conference the week of Memorial Day, including the holiday itself, is a job requirement. The annual conference is held in varying cities.
Tasks are performed in a typical office environment, involving sitting for extended periods of time. Sitting, standing, bending, and lifting 10lbs or less will occur intermittently throughout the workday. Position involves constant use of computer keyboard and monitor, with intermittent use of headset and microphone.
Qualified applicants should apply at the following URL: