WAMU 88.5 is seeking a News Anchor/Host.
WAMU 88.5 is the leading public radio station for news and information in the greater Washington, D.C. area. It’s our mission to connect Washingtonians with each other and the world through balanced, enlightening, inspiring and entertaining programs of the highest quality.
Under the supervision of the Program Director, the News Anchor/Host serves as the voice of local and regional news, ensuring that WAMU’s distinctive stationality comes through and is consistent in every break. This position weaves together live continuity inside local breaks including weather reports, major Metro or traffic delays, underwriting announcements, promos and other local information as required during the hours they are on the air. Other duties include live reporting, writing and broadcasting local newscasts and headlines and anchoring breaking news events. The News Anchor/Host runs their own board unless assigned a board operator.
What you’ll do:
- News Anchoring and Hosting during assigned shift. Host adheres to the WAMU Stationality guidelines and best practices for on-air hosting and uses the program log as a guide to assemble and deliver pertinent information to the listener including promotion of content and/or live events, weather forecasts, and other sense of place information. Regularly undergoes aircheck sessions to ensure optimum on-air presence. Responsible for all technical operations during shift unless a board operator is assigned.
- Delivers regional newscasts in alignment with the editorial needs and formatics of the broadcast log. As needed, conducts live (or pre-recorded) interviews with news experts on issues relevant to the Washington, DC Metro. Host national or regional breaking news coverage as warranted.
- Records and/or writes forward-promotions, station identifiers, and other on air messages as instructed. Keeps informed about international, national and regional news. Reviews newspapers, online news sites, AP wire stories and internally produced news stories for use in the hourly newscasts. Frequently consults and accepts feedback from the Program Director, Editorial Director and Senior Director of Content and News about content and delivery.
- Represents WAMU at donor and community outreach events. Participates in WAMU’s on-air membership campaigns.
- And much more…
You’re experience and attributes:
- 4+ years’ experience live hosting in radio broadcast environment with demonstrated ability to handle live format for highly competitive major market drive time programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work "combo": operating broadcast equipment while carrying out announcing duties and hitting all network time posts. Must have experience working under extreme time pressure every hour.
- Excellent on-air communicator with a conversational, warm and inviting presentation and top-notch pronunciation and enunciation.
- Authentic, empathetic and curious with the ability to make emotional connections with the audience. Must move nimbly between difficult and upbeat stories with the appropriate tone and understand the value of pacing in a local break.
- High level of proficiency in operation of a digital broadcast board.
- Experience representing an organization at live events and speaking engagements.
- Excellent writing, researching and reporting skills.
- Hands-on audio editing and multimedia production capabilities.
- Experience building audience connections using social media.