Accounts Receivable Manager
Howard Community College (HCC) is an exciting place to work, learn, and grow! HCC has been awarded the distinction as a "Great College to Work for" since 2009 from The Chronicle of Higher Education. Howard Community College values diversity among its faculty, staff and student population. We are an innovative institution that is committed to responding to the ever-changing needs and interests of a diverse and dynamic community. No matter where you want to go in your career, you can get there from here!
Howard Community College is actively recruiting for an Accounts Receivable Manager to work at our campus in Columbia, MD.
Responsible for the following:
- Managing all student billing, and the collection of accounts, including credit and noncredit students, vendors, and various special program receivables.
- Monitoring and developing internal billing and collection efforts and working with two external collection agencies.
- Serves as a liaison between HCC and the state Department of Budget and Management's (DBM) Central Collection Unit (CCU).
- Coordination and support of the de-registration for nonpayment process.
- Supervising and coordinating invoicing efforts, including manual adjustments such as waivers.
- Supervising the student payment plan, which includes working with an external processor.
- Oversight of financial aid and the student refund process to ensure compliance with all applicable requirements.
- Assist in systems support including annual updates to the tuition rate tables.
- Reviews and monitors all customer account activity for current and past terms (including financial aid disbursements, internal payment plans, registration changes, and return of title IV funds) .
- Recommends, implements, and coordinates student finance outreach and communication strategies to resolve delinquencies and support college enrollment/retention goals.
- Manages and supervises internal collection process.
- Ensures student billing, and written notifications regarding debts are sent, in compliance with state regulations.
- Responsible for the placement of delinquent accounts to third party collection agencies. Manages transfer process, and ensures accuracy of internal account updates as well as the preparation and upload of custom referral reports/documents.
- Responsible for the preparation of external communication including payment due dates and billing schedules.
- Responsible for coordinating with Registration and Financial Aid for the de-registration for nonpayment process.
- Assists with the preparation and review of reports used to determine collection of bad debts and process write offs as they become necessary.
- Responsible for supervising the payment plan process, including reviewing and monitoring accounts, billing/communications, and maintaining proper restriction holds on delinquent payment plan student accounts.
- Approves all journal entries related to payment plan processes.
- Responsible for maintaining relationship with NelNet Business Solutions (NBS) payment plan company and BankMobile refund processor.
- Responsible for coordinating testing related to the payment plan system and BankMobile processes.
- Researches and resolves discrepancies related to customer accounts. Provides direct support to students regarding billing and collection concerns.
- Works directly with external collection agencies ensuring payments and adjustments are applied accurately and timely. Monitors inventory and monthly invoices, and compiles documentation for debt disputes.
- Responsible for reconciliation of collection cost account, and prepares journal entries.
- Responsible for verifying bankruptcy filing/discharge notifications
- Represents HCC at court hearings and merit trials as a witness for the state of Maryland when requested by the DBM Attorney General's Office (CCU Attorney)
- Assists the Customer Account Supervisor with the oversight of all 'Federal Checks in Excess', Timed Out Disbursements, and uncashed paper checks in coordination with financial aid and finance office staff.
- Assist and help students over the phone, by email, and in-person with issues related to registration charges, financial aid, collection inquires, Bank Mobile refunds, and payment plan inquiries including payment plan enrollment, payment plan cancellation, Bank Mobile account set up, etc.
- Applies financial aid disbursements to students accounts in the absence of Customer Account Supervisor, ensuring all refunds are in compliance with college, federal, and financial aid guidelines.
- Monitors and maintains proper restriction holds on customer accounts.
- Responsible for maintaining student records in Image Now.
- Coordinates and supervises invoicing for the College including credit and noncredit terms, the Music Institute, facility rentals, sponsors, contract courses, vendors, and other special programs.
- Supervises manual adjustments to invoices including dependent and social security waivers and employee fee deferment.
- Assists with IT systems including the testing and annual creation of tuition rate tables.
- Preparing internal training material for staff.
- Responsible for adequate coverage of accounts receivable staff during hours of operation.
- Manages, supervises, trains, and directs accounts receivable staff; assigns, reviews, and evaluates work of personnel. Assists with interviewing and hiring accounts receivable staff including temporary help.
- Provides support in reconciling accounts receivable to the general ledger accounts. Approves all journal entries from direct reports.
- Reviews transactions to ensure the proper use of accounting requirements are applied.
- Responsible for preparing related year-end analysis of collections data.
- Serves on various committees as needed, including the Student Appeals Committee.
- Prepare and present Finance/Cashier's Office slides at the New Student Orientation, as needed.
- Performs general cashiering duties during period of high traffic throughout the year.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree required, accounting or business concentration preferred.
- A Minimum of 5 years of experience in account analysis or collections.
- Two years of supervisor experience required.
- Extensive experience using computerized accounting software including spreadsheets and word processing software.
- Experience with Ellucian's Colleague and Microsoft Excel preferred.
- Knowledge of accounting principles and procedures related to accounts receivable and revenue.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local regulations related to collection of overdue accounts and financial aid.
- Understands Payment Card Industry data security.
- Understands the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act ensuring confidentiality of all student documentation.
- Ability to work independently to locate and resolve problems.
- Ability to analyze and tabulate various reports.
- Ability to interact tactfully and to deal courteously and effectively with others.
- Ability to satisfy customer inquiries related to accounts receivable.
- Ability to have a flexible schedule as hours fluctuate during periods of high demand such as lunch coverage or start of term.
- Ability to implement procedural changes needed due to change in regulations and policies.
- Ability to coordinate with other areas of the college and external agencies to perform duties.
- Ability to interview, hire, train, direct, evaluate, discipline and provide supervisory support to subordinates.
- Ability to analyze accounting and administrative systems to ensure accuracy and recommend and initiate modifications if necessary.
- Ability to operate routine accounting machines such as calculator, copier, fax, printer, and paper folding machines.
- Regular attendance is a requirement of this job.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Performs all duties while considering the impact of any actions on the college's sustainability initiatives in the areas of environmental stewardship, social responsibility, and economic prosperity.
- Customer Account Analyst-Invoicing
- Customer Account & Receivables Specialist
- Customer Account Supervisor
- Temporary staff when needed for billing/processing assistance.
- Overtime may be required during heavy registration or billing periods.
- Position requires a great deal of organization and coordination skills.
- Highly stressful position due to high volume of work, confidentiality, dealing with entire college community, outside vendors and agencies.
Hours Per Week: 37.5
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday 8:30am-5pm
Compensation:$59,937 plus excellent medical, tuition reimbursement and paid leave
Best Consideration: October 20, 2020
Open Until Filled
*Pre-employment criminal background investigation is a condition of employment.
As a participating member of the Maryland Retirement and Pension System, HCC offers two retirement options: The Pension, which requires a 7% employee contribution and The ORP, a 403(b) with a 7.25% employer contribution only. Employees in positions that do not require a bachelor's degree must participate in The Pension. Employees that possess a bachelor's degree and hold professional positions that require a bachelor's degree may choose to participate in either The Pension or The ORP.
Howard Community College (HCC) is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer & values diversity within its faculty, staff & student population. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
HCC understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance with the job application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 443-518-1100.
The following are required documents:
- Completed Application
- Cover Letter