Executive Assistant & Board Liaison
Executive Assistant & Board Liaison
Location: The role is currently remote due to COVID-19, but applicants must be able to travel to and work from NRPA Headquarters in Ashburn, VA regularly. The President and CEO works remotely.
Salary Range: $63,000-75,000
The National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA) is the leading not-for-profit organization dedicated to building strong, vibrant, and resilient communities through the power of parks and recreation. With more than 60,000 members, NRPA advances this mission by investing in and championing the work of park and recreation professionals and advocates — the catalysts for positive change in service of equity, climate-readiness, and overall health and well-being. For more information, visit www.nrpa.org. For digital access to NRPA’s flagship publication, Parks & Recreation, visit www.parksandrecreation.org.
NRPA is currently seeking an Executive Assistant and Board Liaison to support our President and CEO in the Executive department.
The successful candidate must be detail-oriented, proactive, and able to multi-task to support an executive with an interdisciplinary leadership team. They will serve as an information resource in support of the strategic plan and organizational operations by keeping all stakeholders up to date through effective internal communications and project management. The role requires tactfulness, independent judgment, and the ability to build collaborative working relationships with board members and staff at all levels across the organization.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
Logistics & Meeting Support (60%)
- Manage and maintain the President and CEO calendar and travel arrangements
- Provide administrative and logistical support for internal and external meetings through scheduling, note-taking, assembling and disseminating documents and materials before and after meetings, and demonstrating technological know-how to support various platforms (web, video, computer-assisted) and computer software programs
- Manage and execute all meeting and event logistics, including catering, equipment needs, speaker/talent support, travel, and other requirements
- Work with President and CEO, and other VPs as needed, to develop Board of Directors, VP and Senior Leadership meeting agendas and plan for and execute same
- Track VP projects and meeting assignments to ensure timely follow-up and completion of projects/assignments
- Prepare Board and board committees meeting minutes and maintain official records
- Assist Facilities team with headquarters office maintenance and management, as assigned
- Process and sort incoming and outgoing mail for the President and CEO
- Maintain all subscription and login information for the President and CEO
- Provide administrative tasks such as typing, data entry, printing, copying, scanning, faxing, and others as needed
Organizational & Membership Customer Service (20%)
- Represent NRPA and the office of the President and CEO by consistently providing excellent customer service, timely and responsive follow up, proactive support to members, clients, partners, volunteers, and all who interface with the organization through this role
- Provide membership retention outreach support for the Senior Manager of Membership, which includes calls and emails encouraging expiring/expired members to renew and retention calls for existing members (1-2 days per month plus follow-up)
- Provide support for specialty communities within NRPA including Ambassadors and Life Trustees, etc.
- Maintain Ambassador and Life Trustee list and communications
- Provide back-up for Urban Leader calls & note taking (1 call/month)
- Assist with production of State Affiliate Newsletter (2 hours per month)
- Provide support for membership customer service, as needed, including handling responses to direct outreach to President and CEO (varies by month)
- Assistance with Membership customer service during busy times
Internal Communications (10%)
- Assist in the development, population, and maintenance of cross-functional shared documents, dashboards, and databases
- Coordinate, populate and distribute monthly internal newsletter
Finance & Internal Controls (10%)
- Route contracts/documents and obtain appropriate approvals
- Monitor and manage Executive Office and board budgets, billing and expenses reports
- Work with the Finance department to process and resolve accounts receivable/payable issues
Required Materials and Application Process: Applicants without the following required materials may not be considered for this position:
- Cover Letter detailing your background and description how your experience and education would make you a successful candidate for this position (limit 2 pages).
Applicants will first be evaluated on the completeness and qualifications of application materials. Qualified applicants will then be invited for a phone screen and selected applicants will be invited to participate in virtual interviews. Finalists will be required to submit references for a reference and background check.
Who May Apply: This position is open to all qualified applicants. *Note: due to the impacts of COVID-19, this position is predominantly a remote/work from home position presently. However, candidates must be able to travel to and work from NRPA Headquarters in Ashburn, VA regularly.
NRPA values diversity, equity and inclusion and we are committed to integrating these core values more deeply into all elements of our daily work. NRPA is an equal opportunity employer and highly encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, ethnic minorities, new Americans (immigrants and refugees), LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities, native people, and veterans.
Discover the Benefits at NRPA!
To promote healthy lifestyles, at work and away, we have established programs like Teleworking, FlexTime Schedules, 37.5-hour workweek, Employee Assistance Programs, Educational Assistance Programs, Lunch-and-Learn sessions, and more. Situated on park land, our Ashburn, Virginia campus boasts a warm professional environment, with a relaxing and peaceful view of nature at its finest!
The space offers indoor & outdoor eating areas, as well as indoor & outdoor fitness opportunities, including an air-conditioned fitness room with access to showers, as well as foot trails for the outdoor enthusiast. NRPA also maintains office space in Washington, D.C. for its D.C.-based staff that is centrally located and convenient to the blue, orange, silver, and red subway lines.
- The role is currently remote due to COVID-19, but applicants must be able to travel to and work from NRPA Headquarters in Ashburn, VA regularly
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a complex administrative support role required, with experience as an executive assistant reporting directly to senior leadership strongly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to deliver excellent customer service and a strong attention to detail
- High degree of self-awareness, emotional intelligence, and cultural competency
- Understanding of and commitment to principles of inclusion, diversity, equity, and anti-racism
- Meeting and event planning experience, including arranging all contracting, logistics, catering, talent, etc.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills, including Teams functionality, with an ability to become familiar with new programs and software
- Adept organizational, project management and problem-solving skills with impeccable multi-tasking abilities with minimal supervision
- Strong and adaptable interpersonal skills, team oriented and able to collaborate effectively
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with confidentiality and diplomacy
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Experience working with boards and committees preferred
- Experience with Adaptive Planning, AnyBill, ADP a plus
- Must be able to travel as needed, which at a minimum requires annual travel to NRPA’s conference destinations for a week-long residency and travel to Board meeting destinations
Must be able to lift, package, ship, receive, move, and set up equipment, supplies, boxes (approx. 20 lbs) and other for meeting purposes
Candidate Work Style
- Excels in a dynamic, fast-paced work environment
- Self-directed and detail-oriented with a collaborative and professional team spirit to contribute to a collegial, team-oriented environment
- Willing to travel outside of the Washington Metropolitan Area