Legislative and Regulatory Analyst (Public Policy)
The American Academy of Actuaries (Academy), a D.C.-based 19,500+ member professional association, whose mission is to serve the public and the U.S. actuarial profession, is seeking a legislative and regulatory analyst to be responsible for drafting and publishing of Academy public policy work product to appeal to general, as well as specific audiences.
The Legislative and Regulatory Analyst will, working with the Director and Deputy Director of Public Policy and Assistant Director for Research:
- Show creativity in developing publications from analytical reports and technical comments made by Academy members into publications that are more understandable by mainstream, non-actuarial readership. Will also take initiative to plan and conceptualize and draft Academy Alerts on recent regulatory, legislative and judicial developments for distribution to membership;
- Take initiative to plan and track federal and state policy developments on legislative and regulatory issues pertinent to the actuarial profession. Respond to requests for public policy documents and information; conceptualize and conduct research and provide information to assist public policy staff; and provide general legislative support to the public policy department; and
- Working with the Assistant Director for Research, facilitate public policy research projects in the various Academy practice areas (health insurance, life insurance, property/casualty insurance, pensions and financial reporting issues).
- Assist public policy staff in the development (i.e., research, drafting, formatting, etc.) of Academy public statements including working with public policy analysts and senior fellows in the development of original analytical drafts, when appropriate.
- Draft publications for Academy membership to keep them current on public policy work of the Academy.
- Manage public policy department subscriber-based resources to facilitate staying current on public policy developments.
Other responsibilities include working with policy analysts, Director and Deputy Director of Public Policy in drafting content for marketing of public policy work product, including paid ads, blast email notices, e-commerce registrations for seminars and webinars. Work with the public policy staff in the review of substantive work product (e.g., policy monographs, issue briefs, comment letters, etc.) prior to their publication. Provide editorial assistance in public policy review of media publications.
College degree required and minimum of three to four years of professional experience, including: Research, Writing, Editing, Production of Publications for association, business, or public policy entity. Candidates should have specialized experience in working with technical and complex financial issues – insurance and pension subject matter, in particular a plus. Excellent editorial and grammatical skill sets are critical for this position, including not only copyediting, but also structural editing of larger documents. Project management skills preferred.
The Academy offers a professional and intellectually, collaborative work environment, competitive compensation, and an extensive benefits package. Send resume with cover letter, *writing samples and salary requirements to HR Mgr., American Academy of Actuaries. EMAIL HR@actuary.org. View the Academy’s website at www.actuary.org.
Apply for Legislative and Regulatory Analyst (Public Policy)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly