Howard Community College (HCC) is an exciting place to work, learn, and grow! HCC has been awarded the distinction as a "Great College to Work for" since 2009 from The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Howard Community College values diversity among its faculty, staff and student population. We are an innovative institution that is committed to responding to the ever-changing needs and interests of a diverse and dynamic community. No matter where you want to go in your career, you can get there from here!
The ideal candidate for this instructional designer position is a creative, self-starter who has designed and developed learning solutions in face-to-face and remote settings for higher education. We especially welcome individuals who embody the following qualities and characteristics: dynamic facilitator, creative, supportive, service-oriented, results-driven, strategic, innovative problem-solver, flexible, motivated by challenges, and is an excellent team player. This is NOT a position with e-learning. This role focuses primarily on face-to-face instruction.
The incumbent will work independently (remotely until January 2021 and on campus when we return to in person learning) and as a member of a the faculty development team to do the following: design and conduct face to face and remote instruction on best practices in pedagogy and the use of instructional technology tools; design and storyboard online instructional media; develop media in Articulate Storyline 3 or Adobe Captivate; provide limited project management; help faculty to diagnose/establish challenges to their instruction, and partner with them to address their goals.
Primary responsibilities of this position:
- Assists with the development, presentation and evaluation of innovative, responsive faculty development materials and events with an emphasis on active learning.
- Researches, organizes, creates and presents group and individualized faculty development sessions to support high-quality, current best practices in teaching and learning.
- Applies front end analyses including needs assessment, task analysis, content analysis, learner characteristic assessment, environmental review, and instructional analysis; applies and modifies various instructional design models and instructional systems components to develop thorough instructional and learning systems and environments.
- Designs and provides faculty development activities, in service training and innovations, selection and construction of materials, and instructional uses of new technologies.
- Recommends procedures and assists in developing solutions for effective learning and instruction; explores and evaluates new technologies, materials, and techniques for their applicability to educational uses.
- Coaches faculty on the application of adult learning principles to online, remote and classroom delivery methods, training program design, development, and evaluation.
- Master's degree in Instructional Design/Instructional Technology, Adult Learning, or Teaching with minimum of 1 year on-the-job application with Instructional Design and curriculum development in a Higher Education setting
- Teaching experience in higher education (preferred)
- Adobe Learning Suite (preferred)
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to multitask under strict deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work independently, both remotely and on-campus, and as a team member
- Extensive experience with Microsoft Office applications and curriculum authoring software
- Prior experience with Learning Management Systems
- Instructional design knowledge and application with the ability to convert this into engaging learning experiences
- Ability to write strategic learning plans for curriculum.
- Apply ADDIE principles to meet course goals and/or training objectives.
- Design and development experience and experience with designing, developing, and delivering blended learning solutions
- Excellent analytic and evaluation skills
- Keep up with developments in area of expertise by participating in local professional association meetings, reading current journals, books, and magazine articles.
- Competent and knowledgeable in the area of distance learning environments (e.g. Canvas and/or Blackboard)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally and build strong relationships with a diverse group of users and support staff.
- Familiarity with computer related ADA requirements and ability to incorporate features to comply with Section 508.
- Regular attendance is a requirement of this job.
- Performs all duties while considering the impact of any actions on the college's sustainability initiatives in the areas of environmental stewardship, social responsibility, and economic prosperity.
Hours Per Week: 37.5
Work Schedule: M-F with occasional Saturdays and evenings to support faculty
Grade: 13 Full-time Temporary with Benefits
Open Until Filled
Best Consideration: September 14, 2020
*Pre-employment criminal background investigation is a condition of employment.
As a participating member of the Maryland Retirement and Pension System, HCC offers two retirement options: The Pension, which requires a 7% employee contribution and The ORP, a 403(b) with a 7.25% employer contribution only. Employees in positions that do not require a bachelor's degree must participate in The Pension. Employees that possess a bachelor's degree and hold professional positions that require a bachelor's degree may choose to participate in either The Pension or The ORP.
Howard Community College (HCC) is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer & values diversity within its faculty, staff & student population. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
HCC understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance with the job application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 443-518-1100.
The following are required documents:
- Completed Application
- Cover Letter
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE