Public Relations Coordinator
Public Relations Coordinator
Utilize writing and visual storytelling skills to create dynamic and compelling content that engages key internal and external audiences. The Public Relations Coordinator is responsible for developing, measuring, and evaluating content for HCC's social media channels in support of the college's brand, mission, and strategic goals. This position also writes and creates multimedia content for website and publications. This position is expected to work collaboratively with faculty and staff across the college to find ideas for content, as well as monitor news and social media accounts of and about key internal and external stakeholders, higher education industry, local and regional peer and competitor institutions, in order to inform HCC public relations and social media strategies.
- Write and develop communications for HCC's official institutional social media accounts
- Monitor social media accounts, engage with audiences, measure success of posts, and analyze results for each channel
- Assist public relations and marketing leadership with crisis communications on social media channels
- Assist in strategic planning for public relations and marketing campaigns. Serve as coordinator for tactical implementation
- Monitor social media, web, and news media for breaking news or stories that impact college operations.
- Provide social media training, monitoring, and support to college-approved secondary social media accounts. Manage college social media account owners users group
- Conduct research and interviews, take photos, and create digital content for use on website, social media, and other locations
- Research and benchmark against best practices to improve social media processes, strategies, and results
- Associate's degree required in public relations, communications, marketing, journalism or related field
- Minimum of two years of consistent, full-time professional work experience in a public relations, marketing, communications, or related office, performing social media and other related communications duties
- Demonstrated strong public relations writing skills with proven experience in crafting stories that engage readers with compelling copy and visual elements
- Proven experience with social media campaigns, including development, implementation, and measurement across a wide variety of social media platforms
- Demonstrated experience in visual storytelling, demonstrating strong photography and video skills for social media use
- Excellent technical skills with the ability to adapt and learn in a rapidly changing public relations environment
- Research and analytical skills, including experience with social media monitoring and measurement and related tools, social media platform analytics, with the ability to identify trends and provide insights for future changes
- Experience and skills in effectively communicating and collaborating with external and internal stakeholders
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with attention to details and deadlines; strong organizational skills for prioritizing projects
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Regular attendance is a requirement of this job
- High creativity
- Performs all duties while considering the impact of any actions on the college's sustainability initiatives in the areas of environmental stewardship, social responsibility, and economic prosperity
- Attend college and community events outside business hours
- Bachelor's degree in communications-related field
- Knowledge of AP style preferred
- Knowledge of photo and video editing software
- Working knowledge of media monitoring software
Hours Per Week: 37.5
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.; additional hours as needed
Compensation: $23.91 per hour plus excellent health insurance, paid leave and tuition reimbursement
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Open Until Filled
Best Consideration Date, Submit By: November 25, 2019
*Pre-employment criminal background investigation is a condition of employment.
As a participating member of the Maryland Retirement and Pension System, HCC offers two retirement options: The Pension, which requires a 7% employee contribution and The ORP, a 403(b) with a 7.25% employer contribution only. Employees in positions that do not require a bachelor's degree must participate in The Pension. Employees that possess a bachelor's degree and hold professional positions that require a bachelor's degree may choose to participate in either The Pension or The ORP.
Howard Community College (HCC) is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer & values diversity within its faculty, staff & student population. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
HCC understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance with the job application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 443-518-1100.
Please complete the following:
- Completed online application
- Cover letter