Director of Corporate Communications and Media
The main focus of the Director of Corporate Communications and Media job is to lead in creating and implementing communications strategies that raise awareness about American Forests’ corporate partnerships and motivate corporations to be leaders in the forest conservation movement. As needed, the director also assists with communications work related to foundation funders and major donors.
The director also creates and implements strategies that result in placements of stories related to American Forests in third party media outlets. The media strategies help raise awareness about the American Forests brand and help the organization reach its programmatic and fundraising goals.
The director will be part of the Marketing and Communications Team, working closely and collaboratively with that team as well as the program and fundraising teams. The position will be based in Washington, DC and report to the Vice President of Marketing and Communications.
About American Forests
American Forests inspires and advances the conservation of forests, which are essential to mitigating climate change. We do this by protecting and restoring threatened forest ecosystems, promoting and expanding urban forests, and increasing understanding of the importance of reforestation. Founded in 1875, American Forests is the oldest national nonprofit conservation organization in the country and has served as a catalyst for many key milestones in the conservation movement, including the founding of the U.S. Forest Service, the national forest system and thousands of forest ecosystem restoration projects and public education efforts.
Corporate Communications (60 percent)
- Create and implement communications strategies for the organization’s work with existing and potential corporate partners. Strategies involve the use of social media, events, conferences, video, infographics, third party media outlets, websites and other communications channels/tactics.
- Create messaging for corporate partnerships.
- Create communications guidelines for use with corporate partners.
- Serve as liaison between corporate partners and American Forests on all issues related to communications.
- Manage and track all social media interactions with corporate partners.
- Maintain the Corporate Partner Resource Hub by adding social media post templates, visual content and news from American Forests.
- Track new trends related to corporate communications.
Media (30 percent)
- Create and implement strategies that result in placement of stories related to American Forests in third party media outlets, including newspapers, radio stations, television stations, blogs and podcasts.
- Cultivate and maintain strong working relationships with conservation and sustainability media.
- Track new trends related to media.
Foundations and Major Donor Communications (10 percent)
- Create and implement communications strategies for foundation funders
- Assist with content and production of the newsletter for major donors
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably related to communications.
- 7 to 10 years of demonstrated success in conceptualizing, developing and implementing communications strategies and working with media
- Experience working in communications at a nonprofit conservation organization or corporation is a plus
- Experience in project management, developing marketing strategies and measuring results
- Experience in managing consultants
- Critical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills
- Comfortable interacting with corporate personnel at all levels
- Working knowledge of sustainable business practices is preferred
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Strong creative thinker and proactive problem solver
American Forests is an equal opportunity employer.
The majority of work is performed in a general office environment, with occasional opportunities to travel. American Forests is located in downtown Washington, D.C., within walking distance of Metro stations on all lines, multiple bus lines, and Capital Bikeshare.
To apply: Submit coverletter and resume to the email address provided.
Apply for Director of Corporate Communications and Media
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly