Building Maintenance/Day Porter
Bishop Ireton High School, a Catholic, co-educational, college preparatory high school serving 800 students in Alexandria, seeks a Building Maintenance/Day Porter. The individual in this positions monitors Bishop Ireton High School’s buildings daily, making sure the buildings are cleaned, secured, and operational. The individual responds to requests for meeting/event set-ups, distribution of supplies, immediate clean-ups, etc. The Building Maintenance/Day Porter is a member of the Operations Department. This is a full-time, 12-month non-exempt position reporting to the Chief Plant Engineer.
Essential Duties and Functions
- Performs daily property inspections.
- Inspects all restrooms – morning/afternoon.
- Delivers mail and supplies within the buildings
- Cleans and monitors Resource Center and Atrium
- Monitors common areas and restrooms
- Cleans public area windows
- Stocks restrooms
- Cleans up spills throughout school
- Performs monthly inspections including emergency lighting, fire extinquishers, etc.
- Cleans and repairs lockers during summer months
- Assists Maintenance Department with maintenance tasks
- Monitors the building on a weekly basis to ensure the building is in good condition, security is working properly and note any maintenance failures.
- Assists with snow removal and athletic field cleanup
- Responds quickly to emergency situations, summoning additional assistance as needed.
- Periodically maintain 24/7 “on-call” status for after hour emergencies and snow removal. Arrange for coverage if unavailable.
- Ensures tools, shop equipment and materials are cleaned, and maintained, including the necessary records and inventories.
- Uses proper procedures when moving heavy items, wearing a back harness and looking out for obstacles.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Ensures that the building is safe for all occupants if any unexpected incidents arise (slippery floors, broken glass, etc.). Be alert for and eliminate any safety hazards in the work-related area. Keep boxes, electrical cords, plugs, etc. in a safe manner and out of traffic to eliminate tripping, fire hazard, etc.
- Takes responsibility for personal safety and the safety of those who are affected by the work. Participates in all OSHA-related programs & activities as required, including incident investigations, interviews, auditing and assessment, etc.
- Reports any conditions which could result in an accident or injury and/or stop work if required.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
- A commitment to maintaining the building and systems of the school at a high level.
- A thorough understanding of, and commitment to, safety protocols.
- Respect for all individuals on campus and the faith-based work environment.
Working Environment: Physical ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined above, in addition to the following:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to see, talk and hear. This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing all day. The employee must frequently lift and/or move items up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, night vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. The job is performed for the most part in a school setting with frequent responsibilities outside, even in inclement weather. The noise level is that of a typical school setting.
- Knowledge of and 2+ years relevant experience with routine building maintenance and janitorial duties
- Uses personal computer and/or PDA for work order system, email, facilities management software/tools, and training. Basic skills with Microsoft Office.
- Strong time management skills; proficient at working on multiple projects at once with shifting priorities
- Shows resilience in the face of constraints, frustrations or adversity
- Provides reliable follow-up and consistently meets deadlines
- Demonstrates attention to detail
- Comprehends and interprets instructions, short correspondence, and memos and asks clarifying questions to ensure understanding. Able to write routine reports and correspondence. Able to respond to common inquiries or complaints from clients, co-workers, and/or supervisor.
- Solves practical problems and deals with a variety of concrete variables in situations where standardization exists. This position requires basic analytical skills.
- Must speak fluent English.
- Experience working in a school environment
- CDL-B license and bus-driving experience
- High School Diploma (or equivalent)
- At least two years’ experience with routine building maintenance and janitorial duties
Terms of Employment
- Full-time, FLSA Non-Exempt, 12-month employee
- Hours subject to responsibilities of position and frequently requires evening and weekend duty
- Background check and Virtus training
Start Date: Immediately
Salary: Competitive and commensurate with experience
Contact: We invite qualified candidates to consider becoming part of our community by submitting a cover letter, current resume and three professional references by email to email@example.com
About Bishop Ireton
Bishop Ireton, a Catholic, co-educational, college preparatory high school in historic Alexandria, Virginia, began its proud heritage of academic excellence in 1964. The school offers a challenging environment and outstanding quality of life, both in academics and co-curricular activities, with a three-tiered focus on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics), humanities and fine arts. The spirit of community service and giving back is central to the school’s mission. Bishop Ireton’s quality is reflected in its distinguished faculty and staff, who take great pride in seeing every graduate head to college - often to the most prestigious universities and service academies.