A vibrant DC law firm is seeking a Patent Specialist with 2-6 years of experience working in a fast-paced environment and interested in joining a dynamic patent specialist team. The successful candidate will provide administrative support to approximately 4 Patent attorneys and perform all tasks associated with coverage for same.
- Utilizing the firm's software tools to prepare USPTO patent prosecution forms, drafting Office Action “shells,” and other patent office e-filings;
- Uploading, verifying accuracy, and submitting USPTO e-filings via EFS;
- Preparing and e-filing PCT applications in the USPTO via EFS;
- Recording assignments using USPTO’s EPAS system;
- Maintaining accurate patent files in the firm’s electronic document management system (currently Worldox);
- Drafting, revising, and sending routine client correspondence and reporting e-mails;
- Proofreading all filings and correspondence for spelling, content, punctuation, and grammar;
- Pre-processing, flagging, and clearing tasks on assigned attorneys’ dockets; and
- Interacting effectively with other departments to support assigned attorneys.
- Assisting with updating and improving the firm’s patent administrative processes, procedures, and forms.
- Assisting with implementing and refining the firm’s use of new software and web-based tools.
- Periodically assisting with overflow work from other patent specialists.
- Pperiodically assisting other attorney-specialist pairings with special projects.
- Periodically assisting with large file transfer, assignment, and/or power of attorney projects.
- At least two 2-6 years of recent patent legal secretarial experience in a law firm setting.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills, typing at 65+ WPM, and impeccable attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task, manage multiple priorities, and work in a team environment.
- Preferred experience with Foundation IP, AppColl, Worldox, and/or Anaqua.
- Positive attitude toward client service and support of assigned attorneys.
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced office environment during “core” business hours.
- Self-starter with commitment to success and personal professional growth.
- Outstanding organizational, interpersonal and professional service skills (written and verbal).
- Enjoy being involved in all aspects of a growing and changing law firm environment.