Junior Data Scientist
Junior Data Scientist (#4081016)
Founded in 1856, University of Maryland, College Park is the state’s flagship institution. Our 1,250-acre College Park campus is just minutes away from Washington, D.C., and the nexus of the nation’s legislative, executive, and judicial centers of power. This unique proximity to business and technology leaders, federal departments and agencies, and a myriad of research entities, embassies, think tanks, cultural centers, and non-profit organizations is simply unparalleled. Synergistic opportunities for our faculty and students abound and are virtually limitless in the nation’s capital and surrounding areas. The University is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding and diverse faculty and staff that will enhance our stature of preeminence in our three missions of teaching, scholarship, and full engagement in our community, the state of Maryland, and in the world.
The CATT Lab is searching for a talented junior data scientist that can provide analytics support to help solve transportation, safety and security problems. The junior data scientist will familiarize himself/herself with the CATT Lab’s transportation datasets and tools to help support CATT Lab’s reporting and visualization needs. This person should be experienced with extracting and transforming data to deliver analytical solutions, methodologies, models and dashboards using Tableau, SQL and R. The junior data scientist should be proficient with SQL and passionate about working with big data and comfortable joining multiple datasets from relational database and/or big data environments for analysis. The junior data scientist should possess technical expertise and be able to perform independent research and analysis and provide concise updates to the Lead Data Scientist. Good communication skills, organization, time management, and a “will to learn” are essential.
- Degree: Bachelor’s degree in business analytics, data science, statistics, engineering or related field.
- Data Science: 2+ years of experience with R and SQL.
- Develop analytical and statistical techniques such as hypothesis testing, confidence intervals, descriptive statistics, correlation, regression etc.
- Implement ML models to enhance CATT Lab’s current suite of tools
- Data Management: 2+ years of experience with R, SQL or MS Excel.
- Perform data extraction, cleansing and transformation of large datasets for statistical analysis (querying, handling of missing values, creating new variables etc.)
- Identify new datasets for integration with existing tools.
- Business Intelligence: 2+ years of experience with ggplot2, D3, Tableau, JMP or PowerBI.
- Develop data visualizations including ad-hoc reports, graphs, charts and/or dashboards and leverage business intelligence techniques such as trend and drill-down capabilities.
- Business Acumen: Strong MS Office (Word/PowerPoint) skills and ability to concisely communicate approach and results to technical and non-technical audiences (oral/written).
- Effectively estimate effort for each work task.
- Coordinate and collaborate with programmers, IT project managers and other technical staff.
Use strong analytical problem-solving skills.
- Degree: Master’s Degree in business analytics, data science, operations research, statistics, engineering or related field.
- 4+ years of experience with R, SQL, and Tableau.
- Transportation knowledge is a plus.
The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.