Assistant Editor (Digital)
7 days left
- Full Time
Join one of the premiere shooting sports magazine! Provides editorial support essential to the production of the print and digital editions of AmericanRifleman.org, AMERICAN RIFLEMAN magazine and American Rifleman Television and in an accurate and punctual manner.
- Coordinates with Senior Executive Editor, Digital, to create original content for AmericanRifleman.org, to include blogs, videos, news items and AMERICAN RIFLEMAN magazine conversions.
- Assists with editorial preparation and production of daily web content, including reviewing manuscripts, fact checking, copy editing, assembling photo packages, writing captions and headlines, and proofreading.
- Posts stories to Content Management System (CMS) within established guidelines
- Assists compilation and production of monthly “Reports” section, including standing departments: “News & Notes” and “Products & Projects” for AMERICAN RIFLEMAN
- Engages the AMERICAN RIFLEMAN social media community throughout the day via Facebook, Twitter and Instagram; stays abreast of current social media trends and determine best way to apply them to AMERICAN RIFLEMAN; assists with monitoring/moderating visitor posts;
- Acts as backup for social media duties during Sr. Exec. Editor absences
- Contributes to AMERICAN RIFEMAN as assigned.
- Communicates with NRA members, writers and firearm companies on technical and product information, technical firearm questions, and trends and reviews.
- Travels as assigned: extended hours as required.
SCOPE: Coordinates with editorial and art staffs of AMERICAN RIFLEMAN; also coordinates with other departments in NRA Publications, other NRA divisions and the American Rifleman Television production crew. Frequent contact with NRA members, government agencies and firearm industry representatives.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Bachelor of Arts degree in English, Journalism or Communications, or comparable experience. One to two years of experience on a newspaper or magazine editorial staff preferred, but exceptional recent college graduate acceptable. Shooting experience and/or knowledge necessary, with a broad interest in firearms desired. Working knowledge of Second Amendment issues.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES: Ability to write clearly and concisely; organize and prioritize tasks; work under pressure and meet deadlines; and carry several projects through to completion simultaneously. In-depth knowledge of grammar and punctuation rules. Potential to learn to edit and proofread effectively. Knowledge of basic photography necessary. General firearm knowledge and competency with firearms required. Working knowledge of word processing and electronic publishing required. Familiarity with online publishing tools a plus. Ability to use imaging software; ability to use a web Content Management System. Knowledge of SEO/SEM a plus. Familiarity with Mac platforms a plus.
The NRA is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer offering an extensive benefits package.
Apply for Assistant Editor (Digital)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly