Non-Profit Accountant - Tax & Accounting Analysis
Responsible for the Association’s tax compliance. Prepare annual 990 and 990-T returns. Supervise staff and review multi state sales & use tax returns for NRA, as well as other state returns. Responsible for the analysis and reconciliation of membership, contribution, and net assets accounts and oversees grant distributions. Responsible for the preparation of various audit schedules, surveys and questionnaires.
- Responsible for preparation of annual NRA’s 990 and 990-T tax returns.
- Analyze NRA’s potential unrelated income for tax liability for annual state income/franchise tax returns.
- Responsible for review of multi-state sales and use tax returns, including review of all monthly / quarterly / annual state sales and use tax filings, as well as property (including VA unclaimed property), income and franchise state tax returns, a portion of state withholding tax returns, and various license applications.
- Review and analyze the data needed for use tax accruals.
- Review monthly use tax and miscellaneous tax accrual analysis, and monthly sales tax liability reconciliation.
- Respond to inquiries regarding sales and use tax treatment of transactions and oversee tax compliance for special events.
- Maintain tax compliance schedule.
- Oversee state sales and use tax audits and various IRS audits.
- Act as liaison between Financial Services and IS divisions in resolving state sales tax system issues. Respond to NRA customers’ tax exemption inquiries.
- Prepare monthly analysis and reconciliation of membership related accounts for NRA memberships to include deferred income, accounts receivable, allowance for doubtful accounts and deferred bad debt expense. Act as liaison between Financial Services and Membership Divisions. Prepare quarterly analysis and reconciliation of deferred member promotion and fulfillment costs and cost per member.
- Prepare monthly analysis and reconciliation of Membership premiums, premium postage and BRE Postage and journal entries to allocate these costs to applicable membership projects.
- Prepare monthly net assets reconciliations. Responsible for maintaining internal grant reporting and related reconciliations for net assets and manages restricted funds and endowment grants received by NRA from NRAF. Responsible for the completion of the journal entries and account reconciliations relating to the NRA Foundation.
- Responsible for preparation of various audit schedules and notes to financial statements.
- Responsible for the monthly reconciliation of contributions, pledges and planned giving accounts. Review pledge agreements and payments received from the Office of Advancement Division and act as liaison between Financial Services, Advancement, and Corporate Partnerships Divisions. Maintains NRA Endowment calculations and oversees grant distributions to various divisions.
- Responsible for the completion of various federal, state and local surveys and questionnaires.
- Maintain books of American Firearms and Shooting Foundation and work with offsite CPA firm on preparation and audit of financial statements and annual tax returns. Participate in annual board meetings.
- Responsible for special projects and analysis, as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, ABILITIES: B.S. Degree in Accounting and five years of experience required. Thorough knowledge of sound accounting practices and compliance with GAAP and tax accounting experience. Experience with not-for-profit accounting, tax law and regulations. Needs to possess strong organizational and analytical abilities, strong interpersonal and supervisory skills, and familiarity with automated accounting systems. Knowledge of MS Dynamics accounting software a plus. Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines. Certified Public Accountant license is a plus.
Finalist is subject to a pre-employment credit and criminal background investigation. The NRA is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer offering an extensive benefits package.