Senior Network Engineer
The Aspen Institute, founded in 1950, is an international nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering enlightened leadership and open-minded dialogue. Through seminars, policy programs, conferences and leadership development initiatives, the Institute and its international partners seek to promote nonpartisan inquiry and an appreciation for timeless values. The Institute is headquartered in Washington, D.C., and has campuses in Aspen, Colorado and on the Wye River on Marylands Eastern Shore. Its international network includes partner Aspen Institutes in Berlin, Rome, Lyon, Tokyo, New Delhi, and Bucharest and leadership programs in Africa, Central America, and India.
The Senior Network Engineer is responsible for the availability, capacity, and performance of all data and communications networks owned or operated by the Aspen Institute. These responsibilities include core LAN/WAN/WLAN device hardware and configuration, VLANs and other layer-2 configuration, internal and external routing, DHCP/DNS and other core network services/applications as well as network/device management and monitoring systems. Participates in supporting network access and authorization infrastructures and services including NAC, SSO, MFA. Coordinates activities of managed service providers and appropriate cloud-based services.
Additional responsibilities include design, implementation, and management of network services in support of the organizations special events, including guest wireless networking, live internet broadcasting, and multimedia post-production. In addition, the position will participate in operational oversight of major events, including capacity and contingency planning as appropriate.
Secondary responsibilities include assisting with, and serving in a backup capacity for, essential security administration functions, ensuring that critical network security components are properly functioning while primary administrators are absent. This includes basic administration for firewalls, IDS/IPS, SIEM, VPN as well as coordination with managed security services providers.
Works with technology management, system administrators, consultants, and vendors to build, configure, test and implement network solutions that meet the organizations business needs and are aligned and consistent with corporate security policies, enterprise IT strategies and plans. This role will take ownership of appropriate incident tickets and service requests and work with end-users and ITS staff for resolution/fulfillment. Additionally, the position will participate in on-call support rotations for non-business hours.
Primary Mission Accountabilities:
All Aspen Institute employees are expected to embody the Institutes core mission, stated above. The primary aspects of the mission for which this position is held accountable are:
- Develop and utilize innovative problem-solving techniques
- Foster a culture of excellence in all aspects of his or her work
- Treat all clients with respect.
- Promote a collaborative, teamwork-oriented environment
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Network Infrastructure (70%)
- Engineering and administration of all network hardware and software including routers, core/distribution/access switching, wireless controllers and access points, Internet carrier and data/voice telecommunications services.
- Design, implementation, and management of multi-site enterprise network architecture, including physical wiring, appropriate hardware/software high availability, link aggregation and core LAN performance management, VLANs and IP Addressing, internal and external routing protocols, secure wireless networking and user/device access policies, network services and management including NTP/DHCP/DNS/snmp/sylsog, application performance management and QoS, VPN and remote office/remote datacenter as well as cloud service provider connectivity, WAN and Internet/telco connections and capacity management.
- Participation in LAN/WAN/WLAN and Internet edge security including traffic analysis, DDOS, secure DNS and email, partnerships with ISP and CDN.
- Participation in formal and ad-hoc computer emergency response and incident response teams, including tabletop exercises and disaster recovery testing.
- Participation in system performance analysis, system instrumentation/management, and change management activities.
- Leadership of troubleshooting and resolution activities for all major network incidents and outages, as well as mentoring/training of junior personnel in lower-level incident management.
Campus Network and Events (20%)
- Design, implementation, and management of campus wireless networks for employees and guests, including high-density/high-capacity outdoor special events. Coordination with third-party service providers as appropriate.
- Design, implementation and management of media networks for livestreaming and post-production. Coordination with third-party service providers as appropriate.
- Oversight of network operational services during high-profile special events, including contingency planning and rapid response to incidents when needed.
Security Administration & Support (10%)
- Participation in security design and architecture meetings, ensuring that network policies and best-practices are properly integrated and scalably managed alongside regular security operations.
- Assistance to security engineers and administrators during staff absences, significant organizational events, and major incidents/outages.
The Senior Network Engineer interacts routinely with all members of the ITS team, Aspen Institute staff, and visitors to the Institute. The position will informally mentor junior ITS personnel to help build troubleshooting/problem-solving skills. In addition, the position will be expected to provide regular day-to-day as well as some project-based guidance to managed service providers or other external resources.
Knowledge, Education and Experience:
Bachelors degree in Computer Science or related discipline, or equivalent experience. CCNP and other relevant certifications a plus, particularly concentrations in wireless neworking. ITIL v3 certification a plus. Experience with hospitality industry and/or special event production a plus. Experience working for non-profit organizations a plus.
Minimum of seven years experience with network engineering/administration within a heterogeneous multi-site computing environment. Comfortable working towards cloud-first/consumerized technology environments and integrating Apple products into enterprise security programs. Experience with responding to network performance concerns and other outages including proactive fault monitoring and capacity management. Background with Windows, Linux and open source tools, as well as active vendor and/or standards community participation.
In-depth knowledge/experience with Cisco routing and switching, including Spanning Tree, loop prevention, port security, VLAN, LACP, QOS, OSPF, EIGRP, BGP, MPLS, 802.1x, and relevant NIST standards. In-depth knowledge/experience with campus wireless network configuration and analysis of signal performance tuning data using both Cisco and third-party tools, as well as security analysis and user/device access policies using Cisco ISE, RADIUS, TACACS+ and other NAC and AAA technologies. Strong knowledge of network device and configuration management tools including Cisco Prime Infrastructure, network operations and performance management tools such as PRTG and SolarWinds, and techniques for workflow automation/orchestration. Strong knowledge of network services administration including NTP/DHCP/DNS/snmp/syslog as well as IP Address Management. Familiarity with voice/video/collaboration protocols and applications such as SIP, H.323/324, Cisco UCM and other Cisco VOIP products.
Solid fundamentals in information security best-practices and general security concepts/architectures. Broad knowledge of technology infrastructure, virtualization, computing and storage, datacenter/facility, cloud services from IaaS/PaaS/SaaS providers, as well as endpoint devices, user-facing applications and identity management/access control.
Ability to function in a dynamic environment subject to changes in schedules and priorities. Ability to participate in multiple projects concurrently from inception to completion with limited management supervision. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to interact positively and productively with teams across organizational lines. Strong customer service, troubleshooting and problem solving a must.
Physical Requirements & Work Conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl in tight spaces. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move heavy packages and boxes (up to 50lbs).
This position will additionally require travel to the Institutes remote campuses with extended durations up to two weeks.
Level of Authority:
No direct reports
The Aspen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all District and federal laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.
Candidate must have the ability to work under pressure and handle stress. Candidate must also have the ability to meet the regular attendance policy of the Aspen Institute.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/tqsnn592rp6tgmsd